Lee W

How to set alerts in DAS

Today, someone in the chat asked if DAS has the ability to show an alert when certain criteria is met. The answer: YES!

To set a price alert, for example, do this:

Go to Tools > Alert & Trigger. A window will open.

Click Add Alert. Another window will open.

Give your alert a name and enter the ticker in the SecSym box.

Click ADD. A window will open.

Enter the criteria. For this one, I used "last sale" is "greater than or equal to" $176.27.

Click OK.

Be sure to enable the sound features you want. If you want the DAS man to speak to you, be sure the first box is checked. You can click PREVIEW to hear a sample.

yRJ1YBi.png

vmK7SU7.jpg

We also have this video that shows what I've explained. It's a short video, so give it a watch. Thanks to Brendon D for finding the video.

• Like 2

Let me start off by saying I love DAS. After much wasted time, and even more wasted money, I am completely convinced that DAS is the best day trading platform out there (I use it with IB). However, I have struggled with alerts in DAS. They are too cumbersome to setup and adjust . Since I am with IB, I have TWS open and use it for all my alerts. I can easily click and drag the alerts around, and add them just by right-clicking on the chart. Does DAS have the ability to show alerts on the chart, and maybe drag them to new levels, or even right-mouse the alert on the chart to edit? In my opinion, this seems to be one area that DAS could improve, although I might be missing something, like the ability to set an alert using a hot key where you double-clicked on the chart?

On 12/5/2018 at 8:02 PM, GaryD said:

Let me start off by saying I love DAS. After much wasted time, and even more wasted money, I am completely convinced that DAS is the best day trading platform out there (I use it with IB). However, I have struggled with alerts in DAS. They are too cumbersome to setup and adjust . Since I am with IB, I have TWS open and use it for all my alerts. I can easily click and drag the alerts around, and add them just by right-clicking on the chart. Does DAS have the ability to show alerts on the chart, and maybe drag them to new levels, or even right-mouse the alert on the chart to edit? In my opinion, this seems to be one area that DAS could improve, although I might be missing something, like the ability to set an alert using a hot key where you double-clicked on the chart?

No, I don't believe there's an ability to interact with alerts via the chart or hotkeys. It's also worth mentioning that the alert system is a tad buggy at the moment, at least in the latest BETA builds. I'd have to dig up my notes, but the math used for the alerts is way off depending what you choose for the equation (< and <= give completely different results). An alert for a price level will work fine (with a slight bug, see below), but anything using Unrealized, P/L, and Total P/L will give you unexpected results.

Here's some of my notes to get around the bugs I've found:

TTS --> Doesn't read out beyond the account line if present. Workaround: Type a message into the SYMB box, it'll read that first (e.g. "MAX LOSS HIT")

PRICE ALERT --> Readout of price is incorrect. It appends the equation number (I assume it's the operators position in an array) to the price. So for example, a price alert for AMD at 19.40 will give you --> If "<" it'll read AMD 119.4. If "<=" it'll read AMD 219.4, if "=" it'll read AMD 319.4 and so fourth (> is 4, >= is 5).

Maxloss does a running balance, depending on the operator used. Examples:

P/L <= -150 ---> Expected Result: If actual P/L is less than or equal to -150, send alert. Actual result: Does a running balance, so if you're up $300 on the day and then take a $150 loss, it'll trigger at PnL $150. Not a bad idea for another option (a trailing P/L alert), just not the expected result. Workaround: Use "<" instead. e.g. P/L < -100 ---> This seems to work more appropriately, although I've had it sometimes trigger like the <= operator.

Unrealized and TotalPL have similar issues, but are more random because of the inclusion of the unrealized variable.

Edited by KyleK29
  • Thanks 1

---------------------------------------------------------
Profile / Project Pages (Dynamic Hotkeys, StreamDeck Files, and other contributions are located here)

On 12/10/2018 at 11:15 AM, KyleK29 said:

No, I don't believe there's an ability to interact with alerts via the chart or hotkeys. 

Man, is this still the case?  This post is over a year old and I know DAS issues frequent updates, so wondering if this is something they've addressed.  I, too, find adding price alerts overly cumbersome in DAS.  I wish there was a way to add price alerts with the click of a mouse, similar to how we add horizontal price levels.

• Like 1

Just wanted to come back and answer my own question on this, in case someone else needs it in the future.  You can place alerts more quickly now by clicking on the chart.  

Steps: 

1) Right click on a chart > Chart Area > Config Area.  Check the box in the bottom-right that says "Enable placing alert on chart".

2) Next, you must create a hotkey (Setup > Hot Key > Add New Item).  I have simple scripts for when price crosses above or below my alert price.  I'll share them:

Price crosses ABOVE alert price: AlertName=newalert;AlertType=LastPrice;AlertOperator=>=;AddAlert

Price crosses BELOW alert price: AlertName=newalert;AlertType=LastPrice;AlertOperator=<=;AddAlert

3) Open the Alerts window (Tools > Alert & Trigger).  This window NEEDS to be open for the hotkeys to work, so I now just have it permanently fixed in my Desktop layout.

4) Now, when you press your hotkey, an arrow with an "A" next to it will show up on the chart, and you simply click the price where you'd like the alert to be placed.  (NOTE: The first time you click, you'll get an error message that says "Placing alert failed".  Just click again and it will work.  This is a bug and I've reported it to DAS already.

• Like 4

Thks for this info. Trying to understand how to do Quick Alerts in DAS.  This process sounds/seems incomplete, kinda like the quality assurance team did not review properly. 

DAS needs a visual alert also e.g. flash the chart, Will put in a request to DAS soon, any other mods/fix anyone whts to suggest for a quick alert function (complete in under 3 seconds) which I could include ?

Hi,

I set up the quick alerts with hot key on chart, put when I want to select the alert price and click on it nothing happens, 

image.png.1913901eaf23f6733e5c918b0ac10cda.png

4) Now, when you press your hotkey, an arrow with an "A" next to it will show up on the chart, and you simply click the price where you'd like the alert to be placed.  (NOTE: The first time you click, you'll get an error message that says "Placing alert failed".  Just click again and it will work.  

I have to disable the alert feature to get rid of it. Any idea what to do here?

Thanks in advance

Dieter

On 3/2/2020 at 4:00 PM, evan said:

Just wanted to come back and answer my own question on this, in case someone else needs it in the future.  You can place alerts more quickly now by clicking on the chart.  

Steps: 

1) Right click on a chart > Chart Area > Config Area.  Check the box in the bottom-right that says "Enable placing alert on chart".

2) Next, you must create a hotkey (Setup > Hot Key > Add New Item).  I have simple scripts for when price crosses above or below my alert price.  I'll share them:

Price crosses ABOVE alert price: AlertName=newalert;AlertType=LastPrice;AlertOperator=>=;AddAlert

Price crosses BELOW alert price: AlertName=newalert;AlertType=LastPrice;AlertOperator=<=;AddAlert

3) Open the Alerts window (Tools > Alert & Trigger).  This window NEEDS to be open for the hotkeys to work, so I now just have it permanently fixed in my Desktop layout.

4) Now, when you press your hotkey, an arrow with an "A" next to it will show up on the chart, and you simply click the price where you'd like the alert to be placed.  (NOTE: The first time you click, you'll get an error message that says "Placing alert failed".  Just click again and it will work.  This is a bug and I've reported it to DAS already.

@evan Thanks for the update on these price alerts.  I too wanted a quick and easy way to throw them on the chart and not waste too much time.  Especially if i had multiple stocks I wanted to come back to later in the day.  These hotkeys worked pretty easily.  I noticed this thread was from a year and half ago.  Just wondering if you made any other adjustments to the price alerts?   I still can't physically see them on the chart, which I wish I could.  But I can still see them shown in the alert & trigger window.    Thanks again.

38 minutes ago, CharlesinCharge said:

@evan Thanks for the update on these price alerts.  I too wanted a quick and easy way to throw them on the chart and not waste too much time.  Especially if i had multiple stocks I wanted to come back to later in the day.  These hotkeys worked pretty easily.  I noticed this thread was from a year and half ago.  Just wondering if you made any other adjustments to the price alerts?   I still can't physically see them on the chart, which I wish I could.  But I can still see them shown in the alert & trigger window.    Thanks again.

U could try adding a horizontal line automatically to the location u clicked.

I saw this somewhere, did not use it myself but script/code would look like this:

AlertName=Above/Greater;AlertType=LastPrice;AlertOperator=>=;PopupWindow=Yes;Speak=Yes;AutoDelete=Yes;AddAlert;         ConfigTrendLine horzline dotline:8f3e24:1:ffffff:8f3e24 ;HorizontalLine ;

U can change the configuration of the horizontal line  to ur own preference.  Example of how to get the colors to ur preference can be found with Kyles Tool here:

WEB UTILITY: DAS Hotkey Line Style Configuration tool. - DAS Trader Pro Tips and Tricks - Bear Bull Traders Forums

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alastair said:

U could try adding a horizontal line automatically to the location u clicked.

I saw this somewhere, did not use it myself but script/code would look like this:

AlertName=Above/Greater;AlertType=LastPrice;AlertOperator=>=;PopupWindow=Yes;Speak=Yes;AutoDelete=Yes;AddAlert;         ConfigTrendLine horzline dotline:8f3e24:1:ffffff:8f3e24 ;HorizontalLine ;

U can change the configuration of the horizontal line  to ur own preference.  Example of how to get the colors to ur preference can be found with Kyles Tool here:

WEB UTILITY: DAS Hotkey Line Style Configuration tool. - DAS Trader Pro Tips and Tricks - Bear Bull Traders Forums

Great idea.  Thank you

24 minutes ago, CharlesinCharge said:

Great idea.  Thank you

I think u will need to manage/delete the horizontal after activation or end of day as u see fit.

But better than nothing.

3 hours ago, Alastair said:

I think u will need to manage/delete the horizontal after activation or end of day as u see fit.

But better than nothing.

where did you make that script for horiztonal line?  because it also changes the price marker which i like.  But the website that Kyle has posted doesn't change the price marker like yours does.

3 hours ago, CharlesinCharge said:

where did you make that script for horiztonal line?  because it also changes the price marker which i like.  But the website that Kyle has posted doesn't change the price marker like yours does.

Both Kyle and I have observed strange DAS coding methods.  We tinker using our past coding experience.  Kyle is much better, as I am 25+ yrs removed from active coding.

Also I am OCD.....LOL....so the flag not being the right color as the line was a true nuisance...........ha...ha.

Enjoy.

I'm running TradingView alongside DAS, which has a robust alerting feature - I wish DAS weren't so cumbersome. The main issue I have with DAS now is that each new alert I set up is not preserving "default" settings, especially those pertaining to audio settings. I've got the hotkey setup, and the alert window is open,  but the settings for each alert I send from a chart don't use the audio settings, which means I have to go back and edit the newly created alert to my preferences. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks all!