Abiel

Risk Control Page (DAS Trader Pro)

@Cole_T  make sure you right click next to your account number, if you right click the body of the account window it doesn't work.

Wanted to understand if anyone's trading improved after implementing max daily loss risk controls? I generally do about 0.5% to 1% of account size daily around 70% of the month. But out of the remainder i have 1 or 2 days where I go hulk which eats up a lot of my profits. Wondering if anyone's performance improved after putting in max loss limits?

On 2/2/2021 at 9:21 AM, Kav_83 said:

Wanted to understand if anyone's trading improved after implementing max daily loss risk controls? I generally do about 0.5% to 1% of account size daily around 70% of the month. But out of the remainder i have 1 or 2 days where I go hulk which eats up a lot of my profits. Wondering if anyone's performance improved after putting in max loss limits?

@Kav_83Yes it was instrumental to my success. 

I am not a profitable trader without them.

I make money almost every day with them.

It's a psychological boost knowing you can't give up months of profits in one day.

Also @Abiel I found that Risk Control page I mentioned on DAS's website. 

My risk controls look like the default HTML document that everyone sees or what can be seen in the Bear Bull Trader's video on Risk Controls YouTube video.

I am switching to Interactive Brokers for this specific reason = auto stopping me out of trades.  The main point of this feature is to protect me from my bad emotional choices which IMO is the main feature behind the Risk Controls page.  

Sorry I was not specific.  TD Ameritrade was not allowing the Auto STop feature per my discussion with Das and they said Interactive Brokers will allow the Das feature an execute an auto stop.  Which is why I am switching.

On 12/13/2021 at 4:53 AM, Bailey Nevener said:

Fortunately IB does indeed support autostop.

@Bailey Nevener And your comment "Yes it was instrumental to my success. "  Convinced me of making the switch to IB.

New Question sir.  Perhaps you can give some specifics Bailey on your experiences getting autostopped.

For you, when the autostop clicked in,  what actually happens.  For example, are you doing MaxLoss, Positional Total Loss, or Maybe Position Unreal?

I would think the ultimate protection would be Position Unreal as that should theoretically stop you out at $300.  Where Max Loss $300, where I have it below, would also I guess just kick you out of trading for the day BUT also your loss could be any $ amount of $300 as you haven't hit realized yet until you sell.

Thanks

MRod

image.thumb.png.27a2e2fff4171b34557f10d9baa0b3e3.png

image.png

On 12/15/2021 at 3:01 AM, peterB said:

autostop means that the opened positions will be closed. if you set max loss or total loss without autostop it will not allow you next trade while allowing you to lose on an opened trade up to infinity

what you need is only to set Total Loss and autostop to be protected

max loss is just for a ticker i believe

i stated wrongly that autostop is not supported in IB it is the drawdowns in stop gains that are not possible

Hi Peter,

Are you referring to this portion here? Been talking with DAS support about it today actually. But if it doesnt work with IB I guess there is no point. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 2.53.28 PM.png

@RealEstateDayTrader

I use the Total Loss parameter because it is what actually what "stops you out" with the auto-stop feature.

I set the Max Loss parameter about a 1/2R below my true "Max Loss". 

I do this because in the event that I lose 4.5R's due to commission, it would be unwise to take another 1R trade even though I haven't hit my true "Max Loss" yet.

So it makes it where I have certain days that I basically hit max loss, but it is just underneath my actual Max Loss. 

Due to the slight delay in the auto-stop feature (using only the Total Loss) and slippage, sometimes my "Max Loss days" would be a full 1R beyond my true Max Loss.

Generally that would occur when I took a final trade that was a 1/2R or less away from my Max Loss.

Also Max Loss is not supported on an individual ticker basis, it is based on the whole account.

Edited by Bailey Nevener

On 12/11/2021 at 2:16 PM, RealEstateDayTrader said:

I am switching to Interactive Brokers for this specific reason = auto stopping me out of trades.  The main point of this feature is to protect me from my bad emotional choices which IMO is the main feature behind the Risk Controls page.  

das now supports auto stop with tD per their customer service.