Skye

2-1/2 Years Part Time - How I Journal

I have been trading the open, then working, and for the last 9 or 10 months, then working on a major house project with the rest of my daylight hours so time has been very short.

I've tried various forms of journaling, from simple DIY to other people's elaborate spread sheet, software, and web apps. I am very happy with what I'm doing now as a way of getting the information I need while keeping the process short. That last part is important. The less time it takes, the more likely I am to stay on it and get useful information out of it.

So here it is. It's really simple but is working the best for me by far:

1st, recording video with audio (the chat and me on a head set). I use OBS to record and VLC for playback. I have the days trades displayed in DAS and it's super easy and quick to move the slider to just before a trade and then watch/listen. The speed is really easy to adjust with hot keys which is really great to study trade management especially (and Andrew is really entertaining at 1.8x speed:-) I also talk my way through which helps while I'm actually trading. And wow, watching video, especially while listening to what I was thinking real-time is worth SO MUCH more than pictures!

2nd, I use a daily spread sheet to enter my risk, Gross $, estimated net $, gross & estimated net R, and gross & net account balances. I only need to enter my risk, gross $, and shares bought to get this info. Here's what it looks like:

Date Gross Net R Shares Gross R Cum. R Gross Bal. Net Bal.
09/21/20 14 7 13 158 1.1 0.0 6274 3910
09/22/20 -6 -17 26 598 -0.2 -0.2 6268 3893
09/23/20 17 10 15 168 1.1 0.9 6285 3903
09/24/20 26 22 15 169 1.7 2.6 6311 3926
09/28/20 -14 -22 25 300 -0.6 2.1 6297 3904
09/29/20 16 2 24 694 0.7 2.7 6313 3906
09/30/20 -70 -83 34 1530 -2.1 0.7 6243 3698

I also have monthly totals and average R & win rates over a few time frames:

Average R 0.2 Last 5
Average R 0.4 Last 10
Average R 0.5 Last 20

Win Rate 60% Last 5
Win Rate 70% Last 10
Win Rate 75% Last 20

This data also generates charts for cumulative gross R, daily R scatter plot (with 10-day moving average), and a gross & net account balance graph.  All of this stuff is based on days, not trades.

image.png.048c372cf4620e95cdbad9b98f651264.png

image.png.90becca93b185be88060cb01b16e4153.png

image.png.8c7a0e28aa0a22b99eda9c806e0125ca.png

Then the newest thing, tracking whether I followed the rules or not, the accumulated R for each, and some notes. This is per-trade, not day like above. This has been a huge help to me! I can calculate what I would be doing if I actually followed my stupid rules!!! I can see how much it's costing me not to follow my stupid rules!!! And I can see which strategies might be working better or worse. The big value this has brought me is understanding that my trades are working (if I would just follow my stupid rules!:-) and what my results would be if I did. It means, if those results are what I want, I can focus on what's important (following the stupid rules!) instead of looking for some amazing strategy which will make everything better. And that rule-following data, it's in my face every day:

R 3.8 -2.0 Trade  
# 28.0 5.0    
Average 0.1 -0.4    
  Followed Rules    
September Yes No    
09/21/20 0.7   1 ORB Would have been more but got out late after 1st cover.
  -0.7   MA  
  1.4   MA  
    -0.4 MA Shorted just above the 50 on the 5.
09/22/20 -1.1   5 ORB  
  -0.2   5 ORB  
    -0.3 MA Tried reversal w/Brian
  1.2   MA Did 2nd cover a bit to early.
  -0.3   VWAP VWAP before Z
  0.4   MA VWAP – Z
09/23/20   -0.1 1 ORB Entered near VWAP for close safe stop but after 1 min. engulfing
  1.6   1 ORB In w/Brian
  -0.9   5 ORB 2nd 1 min. ORB
  0.5   VWAP  
09/24/20 1.7   5 ORB In under MA
Weekend   Need to work on:   MA rules, closer stops, cut losers sooner
09/28/20   -1.3 VWAP Didn’t sell after low vol. On 1 min.
  -0.1   VWAP Low vol.
  0.6   1 MA Not on 5 MA
  0.2   VWAP  
  0.0   1-5 MA Low vol.
09/29/20 0.0   1 ORB Low vol.
  -0.1   5 ORB Low vol.
  -0.1   1-5 MA  
  -0.1   1-5 MA  
  0.7   1-5 MA  
  -0.9   1-5 MA  
  1.1   VWAP  
09/30/20 -1.5   1 ORB Was struggling & gave me chances to exit near BE.
  -0.2   VWAP  
  1.8   VWAP  
  -1.1   Rev  
  -1.0   1 MA  

I am also experimenting with a dynamic risk calculator which raises & lowers risk based on the average R and win rate over the last 5 days. The idea is that it will pull the risk out automatically when I start veering off the righteous path (like I did in July - ugh...). I think I like it but may tweak the calculator some after I have had more time with it.

I hope this helps someone. I'm happy to share the spread sheet with anyone who would like it.

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People that spend their time telling others what can't be done only annoy those of us out there doing it.

Hi @Skye,

Thanks for sharing this information about your journaling. I am currently is a very similar position like yours. My day is fully occupied as well and I have been looking for a journaling solution that would help me improve while making it simple and quick. It would be great if you can record a video that explains your journaling and post it here. I would appreciate it if you can share your excel sheet. Thanks

Hi CTP, sorry for the delay. I tried responding sooner but issues with the site prevented it.

I was thinking nobody was going to respond! I thought at least I'd get some comments about my fantastic summer performance in the graph above! Too hot to work on my house in the afternoons so I tried doing that in the morning & trading afternoons. Won't do that again - at least not in the summer.

Don't think I can swing a video but I'll make sure the spread sheet is ready to share and get it to you this weekend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
People that spend their time telling others what can't be done only annoy those of us out there doing it.

Hi CTP, finally got this updated. The forum won't allow me to attach a spreadsheet so I sent you a direct message asking for your email. Get back to me & I'll get the spreadsheet over to you.

After more time with the dynamic risk control, I have to say I really like it.

Nice Journal Skye.

May I ask what caused the big drawdown between mid July to September? Thanks!

I have been working on a HUGE house project on the outside of my house for the last year. It got too hot in the summer here to work outside in the afternoon so I started working outside early morning & tried trading afternoons. My risk got dropped down though so it didn't cost me too much.