Leigh Jeffery

Sept 23 - Andrew - Trading Momentum at the Open: An Scalper Guide to 1-min Opening Range Breakouts

Please use this thread to post your questions before and after the Success Webinar!

Trading Momentum at the Open: An Scalper Guide to 1-min Opening Range Breakouts

The styles of trading of course vary. They range from swing trading to investing to day trading. Furthermore, within these general styles you will find a number of breakout strategies such as momentum, scalping, and trend trading. Momentum trading at the Open is one of the most fast-paced types of trading out there. It requires rapid decision making, great execution speed, and a strategy that you can quickly identify on your charts. Join Andrew as he breaks down his momentum strategy for one of the most exciting times to be trading in the market: the Open.

Date :   Wed, September 23, 2020
Time :  8:00 PM ET

Hi Andrew & Ryan,

Your opening strategies look very interesting for people willing to trade only for a few hours in a day which could eventually be my goal. But as I just get started, I am still looking for safer entries in less volatile market hours.

I am wondering if you are using technical stop loss levels (which can sometimes be far from your entry) and aiming at least a 2R move as recommended by most moderators. Sometimes, without knowing precise Andrew's stop loss position, it can be difficult to know if he is making 0.5R or 2R out of a trade (even though the amount is often tremendous !).

In other words, I am wondering if you are aiming :

- a high win rate with lower average R per trade ?

- or a 2R minimum R per trade with maybe a lower win rate ?

I hope it is fully clear.

Thanks a lot for your explanations ; I am looking forward to it !

Julien

Hi guys,

Looking forward to your presentation. My question is this: 

How do 2 & 5 minute ORBs behave differently that what you'll describe for 1 minute ORBs? What, if any, are the advantages/disadvantages of each timeframe for ORBs?

Ed Dixon (thedramaclub in chat)

Do you use a linear regression in your setups?

I just found your Youtube channel and I don't see anything, but I have found it to be very reliable way to trade for 1 minute ORB. 

Here is my apple short for today. Basically you want to trade into the regression, which is the darker blue line. You just manage the trade as you normally do. Those black lines are the standard deviations and are very good levels.

I could have managed this better but went super heavy and ended getting out 75% at the regression. But I think you get the idea. 

image.thumb.png.a32344366a110843b6be49a134f00b74.png

Here is the other 1 min ORB I took on GME. I got out because of level two information and the fact that it gapped up so much overnight. I also took it long after it hit the deviation and made a new 1 min high for a quick scalp. It rejected the 200 but very often this is when the stock reverses to come back to the regression again.

image.thumb.png.a98676b14cb4410a32bafad7fb65c2e9.png
Edited by bclark413

Hi Andrew,

I like to know trade management details of 1ORB, like for example Adding criteria, partialing criteria.

Thanks

Hello Andrew/Ryan, 

Could you guys please quantitatively analyse how the wicks on Minute 1 candle relative to the stocks ATR factors into whether or not you would take a 1MIN. ORB trade.

Thank you.

Hi Andrew,

I started trading at simulator not long time ago and ORB worked for me pretty well, however it's hard for me to be at the right stock at the right time. Do you use any pre-market data to help you identify possible ORBs? Are there any stocks which tend to have ORBs more often than others?

Hi Andrew,

You mentioned low float stock can be manipulated by people who pump and dump.  Since everything is relative, are these stocks more likely to pop at the open, or is it that these stocks are harder to analyze past the initial 5-15 minutes ?