Jennifer Olson

Bay Area Covid Times

That sounds amazing.   I've been working from home so get some more time in the morning to trade before I have to jump on calls... one of the few positives from all this.   What are you studying? 

How's your trading coming along? What's been your approach? 

I'm studying math, I really do enjoy it, but the longer I've been in academia the harder it's been to  balance math / trading / gym / life : P 

That's awesome.   Trading is coming along, I'm getting decent at swing trading but my day trading is improving slower than I would like.  Mostly have been focused on ORBs since have to work the rest of the day.  What about you, favorite strategies? 

ORBs are tough imo, I feel like prior to covid there were a lot more A+ 5 minute orbs, now I see more people do 1 and 2 minute ORBs which are tough too haha. I'm all about the parabolic reversals!!! :) I used to trade all the setups, now I just do PRs, I like it a lot. 

3 hours ago, Jennifer Olson said:

That's awesome, what time of day do you like for trading PRs?

I just went live risking small size and was trading from 6:00-800, then 9:30 - 11:30, then I'd try and catch the close. However after doing that just for a few days I realized it's not worth it, at least for me. The parabolic reversal strategy depends on a stock getting OVER extended which requires a lot of effort in the form of volume. So I really feel it's best to trade them the first 1 to 2 hours the market is open...then go live your life 😛 I was profitable in SIM doing that, it's been a little rocky since going live but I expected that, it's why I risk small size. I post video recaps everyday if you're at all interested. Hope all is well! 🙂

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 3:32 PM, Jennifer Olson said:

Hi Bay Area Traders, 

How's trading going, anyone making any super fast improvements through covid-times?  It's been nice to spend more time trading.

I was designated an essential worker, so I was still working onsite at my employers half the time. So from a personal standpoint my trading has not changed too much. Though I started to learn Futures this year. I studied for 4 months then I have been trading on the SIM (Ninjatrader) for 3 months now.

From a technical side my trading has changed quite a bit. I usually trade 1/2 minute ORBs. Soon after the pandemic the fallen angel setup changed. A strong stock dropping to VWAP doesn't seem to stop falling at VWAP. You have to wait and see where it reverses and wait for a hammer to form before you can go long. Sadly, about twice a month I still go long at VWAP, out of reflex and get stopped out.

Also the ORBs keep starting earlier and earlier. Today I went long 17 seconds after the open with ROKU. Due to the early ORBs I had to start using hard stops this year. Though all of last year I used mental/manual stops. But that close to the open you blink and the price is sitting at -3R. So I need the hard stop now.

I hope everyone is safe and also were not impacted by the wildfires.

5 hours ago, Jennifer Olson said:

@Rob C  How are you liking trading futures?    I've worked in SIM with and without hardstops, definitely a must for me too. 

I liked trading stocks that stayed in play for weeks and you got to know the way they trade. So I was thinking Futures you could learn 2 or 3 instruments and get to know them well and trade them for years not weeks. So I am taking a training course (a bit pricey), they train you on the ES first. I was surprised how many retailers trade the ES. I guess the really large margin and no PDT rule attracts them.

Hard stop is a must for me now trading so close to the open. The issue I have is if I have a hard stop I tend to wait for the stop. When I was making mental stops and the trade started not to look good I exited before my stop.

@Rob C  No PDT rule makes sense, that's pretty sweet, you'll have to let me know how the training is.    I have the same problem with the hardstop, but then if I mental stop out before the hardstop I get irritated if it turns around and moves in my direction, so now I usually let it hit my stop.  

On 9/23/2020 at 11:20 AM, Christopher Patterson said:

I just went live risking small size and was trading from 6:00-800, then 9:30 - 11:30, then I'd try and catch the close. However after doing that just for a few days I realized it's not worth it, at least for me. The parabolic reversal strategy depends on a stock getting OVER extended which requires a lot of effort in the form of volume. So I really feel it's best to trade them the first 1 to 2 hours the market is open...then go live your life 😛 I was profitable in SIM doing that, it's been a little rocky since going live but I expected that, it's why I risk small size. I post video recaps everyday if you're at all interested. Hope all is well! 🙂

Your recaps are great Chris!!

@Jennifer Olson Thanks!! I've been getting my butt kicked recently though lol. 

I swear right when you feel like you got it figured out, that's the exact moment you just lost it. 

Hope all is well, I'm always down to chat about price action, hit me up anytime!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.