Kayz

How slow is trading overseas with Das Pro?

Hi, BBT folks!

Today I've been talking to couple of my overseas friend which located in Asia, one told me her trading software was delayed for 3-6 Sec, even with a VPN on....

I find that topic in general pretty interesting since we pretty much all wants a lifestyle to trade anywhere on the earth...

So anyone has experience use DAS outside of the U.S and Canada?

I am in Germany and DAS was lagging sometimes. however, I dont think it was 3-6 secs for me,. can be about 1 sec. sometimes when I took partials, the triangle was printed in the chart somewhere quite a bit below the current candle in the chart. It made me worry a bit

Just now, Sebastian B said:

I am in Germany and DAS was lagging sometimes. however, I dont think it was 3-6 secs for me,. can be about 1 sec. sometimes when I took partials, the triangle was printed in the chart somewhere quite a bit below the current candle in the chart. It made me worry a bit

Thank you Sebastian! you could check your lag at right bottom corner on your Das.... mine is around 75 - 90 ms lag yet can still encounter your triangle and print issue sometime as well....

18 minutes ago, Kayz said:

Thank you Sebastian! you could check your lag at right bottom corner on your Das.... mine is around 75 - 90 ms lag yet can still encounter your triangle and print issue sometime as well....

I activated the status bar but it only shows the time. I was searching for the window that shows the lag, but I just cant find it. There must be a window that you can open that tests how long the ping takes I think

10 minutes ago, Sebastian B said:

I activated the status bar but it only shows the time. I was searching for the window that shows the lag, but I just cant find it. There must be a window that you can open that tests how long the ping takes I think

Yes it was in "Network Status" and you should scroll to the end right there's a "Network Delay"

1 hour ago, peterB said:

what i noticed in EU that the graphs are delayed in drawings 3-6 secs. mostly noticable on the 1min chart when the new minute starts. it just starts drawing later. not an issue though.

Interesting... did you mean only the lines are delaying but not the numbers?

I'm in Australia and mine is normally between 200-250ms but I have seen it up above 300ms. I did see a post about optimising DAS speed but haven't looked into actually doing it yet. 

54 minutes ago, peterB said:

yes like you see all the level2 and time and sales flowing but the 1min candle starts drawing after 5 seconds in the minute. i checked some videos i took in april and it was not the case then. but recently i see that a lot. i will try ti make some video of it on tuesday anyway cannot do much about it

That’s unfortunate... have you tried a VPN or something I think that might help?

Here in The Netherlands, my lag is approx. 150 to 180ms. It's rare that it goes over 200, but on occasion it may.  Don't feel it hurts my trading too much. 

I have traded from Taiwan, Thailand, Canada, and mainland China. In Canada, Taiwan, and Thailand the connection was pretty good and I got reliable and quick executions from IB on TWS. I don't use DAS, but presumably it wouldn't bee too different. In mainland China on the other hand it was a different story. The Internet inside China was blazing fast and pretty reliable for Baidu and what have you that comes from within China. As soon as I needed servers and websites outside the mainland it was laggy and I got cut off frequently. And I'm not talking about the banned stuff that you would need a VPN for. I was able to connect to my trading platform without a VPN and got cut off a lot and it was laggy and unpredictable. With a VPN it was a little better. So, to the OP, it would likely depend greatly on where in Asia and what powers are controlling the Internet there.

I'm in Sweden on a 100/100 fiber connection. Network delay is 109 ms today. I have not checked before. I don't think I have seen the delay in chart drawing mentioned above. Sounds more like a computer issue since it is based on the same data.

Key question is what time is the software platform (Ex. DAS) using to time stamp your outgoing trade....if it uses your computer’s time then need to make sure you have an NTP client running in your PC and have it force-sync your computer’s time every hour or so  ( make sure the NTP server you select is close to where you live -  2 or 3 milliseconds or so can be achieved with NTP protocol ).  The internal clock in a computer is a simple cheap crystal mounted in the motherboard and depending on the computer it may drift several SECONDS a day ( fast or slow).  

Computer time has nothing to do with the delay in the connection,  but , depending on the SW platform, ensures your trade is time stamped corectly.

Connection delay will depend on your internet connection, your brocker's connection to the exchange and and how far are you from your brocker’s server...

High frequency traders ensure their computers are sync to within microseconds....we are just retail traders so at least fraction of a second should be sufficient.

Edited by MIGS

This is from singapore 220ms, dont think it will affect much.

delay.png