Ryan W

Custom Keyboard with HIDMacros

Hi everybody! I just wanted to share a piece of software that I found recently. It's called HIDMacros: http://www.hidmacros.eu/ The developer has stopped working on it, however it works just fine with the last release.

What HIDMacros allows you to do is connect another keyboard and program ANY of the keys on that keyboard to perform any type of function (macros as well). I use TradeStation for my platform/broker and I created a number of order entry hot keys and macros (for TradeStation) that I would execute from my primary keyboard. The problem was, I had to do a lot of Ctrl + or Alt + and I could ONLY use SOME of the function keys (the 'F' keys at the top of your keyboard). I couldn't use any other key since those keys served some other function in Tradestation. This became rather cumbersome and I ended up encountering WAY too many order entry errors as a result. I was looking into Stream Deck: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck but it only works under Windows 10 (I am running 7). There are other hardware alternatives like X-Keys Xk-24 http://xkeys.com/xkeys/xk24.php but they are rather costly.

So, with the help of HIDMacros and a second USB keyboard (a regular 104-key keyboard, nothing special), I was able to program the number pad on my second keyboard to execute the hotkeys I programmed in my trading platform. I then used tape and different color paper to tape over the keys with the function. So red for sell x amount of shares or sell the entire position, Green for Buy x shares. Blue for Short and Orange for cover. As well as cancel open order and "Emergency" exit position buttons as seen in this picture: Custom Programmed keyboard

It wasn't very difficult to do at all and it saved me some money until I decide to upgrade to Windows 10 and get the Stream Deck. What I also like by using the second keyboard is I am NOT limited on the number of keys I can program. I theoretically have 104 keys that I can program to do anything in my trading platform.

I used this guide to get me started: http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-powerful-programmable-keypad-for-less-tha/

Please note, I am using Tradestation. I am not sure how hot keys are mapped/programmed in DAS, but I am sure it can be fairly easily done since it's essentially the same premise.

Was that a typo Ryan? Did you mean to say 'until I downgrade to Windows 10'?

Thanks for sharing that. It's very interesting about using a secondary keyboard. Certainly makes TS a more viable option for this style of trading

So many great post in the forum just saw this one! This is really dope! Going to look into it as well.

Carlos M.

Ryan,

Thanks for posting this! This is awesome and I now have to pull out one of my old keyboards and try setting this up.

JP

So I had this old number keypad laying around the house and I try following Ryan's suggestions by going to the website and following the instructions, plus little help from Ryan, I was able to setup simple Hotkey pad. I'm still working on modifying the pad, but for now this is the layout.

Just follow the instructions on HIDMacros and some mapping of the DAS Hotkeys with HIDMacros. I will probably get the Stream Deck later.

I think Amazon sell this number keypad for $8.99 or use any old USB keyboard too.

Hotkey Pad

Ryan,

I noticed that sometimes, the device defaults to my mouse or the main keyboard. I saved configuration. Is there something that I am not doing to save to the other keypad device?

Thxs

JP

JP, HIDMacros can be a little quirky. As long as you saved the configuration and it's mapped to the correct keyboard, it will stick. But, if you unplug your keyboard or number pad, the ID will change, so you need to double check that. I've also found that HIDMacros "Gets stuck" sometimes. I've made it a habit of closing out HIDMacros as the end of the day and re-launching it so I know it's fresh.

Try this out and let me know if it works. HIDMacros is great, but it's not developed anymore, so it may have some bugs that won't get worked out unfortunately. This is the ONLY piece of software that I've found that actually works properly. There isn't much else out there surprisingly.

On 1/6/2018 at 12:46 PM, Ryan W said:

Hi everybody! I just wanted to share a piece of software that I found recently. It's called HIDMacros: http://www.hidmacros.eu/ The developer has stopped working on it, however it works just fine with the last release.

What HIDMacros allows you to do is connect another keyboard and program ANY of the keys on that keyboard to perform any type of function (macros as well). I use TradeStation for my platform/broker and I created a number of order entry hot keys and macros (for TradeStation) that I would execute from my primary keyboard. The problem was, I had to do a lot of Ctrl + or Alt + and I could ONLY use SOME of the function keys (the 'F' keys at the top of your keyboard). I couldn't use any other key since those keys served some other function in Tradestation. This became rather cumbersome and I ended up encountering WAY too many order entry errors as a result. I was looking into Stream Deck: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck but it only works under Windows 10 (I am running 7). There are other hardware alternatives like X-Keys Xk-24 http://xkeys.com/xkeys/xk24.php but they are rather costly.

So, with the help of HIDMacros and a second USB keyboard (a regular 104-key keyboard, nothing special), I was able to program the number pad on my second keyboard to execute the hotkeys I programmed in my trading platform. I then used tape and different color paper to tape over the keys with the function. So red for sell x amount of shares or sell the entire position, Green for Buy x shares. Blue for Short and Orange for cover. As well as cancel open order and "Emergency" exit position buttons as seen in this picture: Custom Programmed keyboard

It wasn't very difficult to do at all and it saved me some money until I decide to upgrade to Windows 10 and get the Stream Deck. What I also like by using the second keyboard is I am NOT limited on the number of keys I can program. I theoretically have 104 keys that I can program to do anything in my trading platform.

I used this guide to get me started: http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-powerful-programmable-keypad-for-less-tha/

Please note, I am using Tradestation. I am not sure how hot keys are mapped/programmed in DAS, but I am sure it can be fairly easily done since it's essentially the same premise.

Hi Ryan, Does this still work if I try to do it now? Or it's impossible to use that website anymore..

Ryan what Action item do you check when setting up a Hotkey HID macros?  Is it the (send keyboard sequence)?

Hotkey  example: Buy 200 shares at limit Ask+.10 :ROUTE=SMRTL;Share=200;Price=Ask+0.10;TIF=DAY+;BUY=Send

hid.jpg

On 1/30/2018 at 10:17 AM, Ryan W said:

JP, HIDMacros can be a little quirky. As long as you saved the configuration and it's mapped to the correct keyboard, it will stick. But, if you unplug your keyboard or number pad, the ID will change, so you need to double check that. I've also found that HIDMacros "Gets stuck" sometimes. I've made it a habit of closing out HIDMacros as the end of the day and re-launching it so I know it's fresh.

Try this out and let me know if it works. HIDMacros is great, but it's not developed anymore, so it may have some bugs that won't get worked out unfortunately. This is the ONLY piece of software that I've found that actually works properly. There isn't much else out there surprisingly.

seems to have been updated earlier this year. Are you still using this? Thinking about using a seperate keyboard. Perhaps different software?