DavidB

Is this hardware good for day trading

Hi guys,

I’m looking to buy a new computer and I read some confusing informations. Some saying it’s important to have a very good setup (muti-core, SSD M2, gaming video card, etc.) and others saying any recent computer will do the job.

I have a budget between 1000-1250$. At first I wanted a laptop because I could use my computer on the road, in a coffee shop, etc but for this price the models are not really interesting so now I’m looking for a desktop. I have currently 2 monitors and I want one more. 

Is there a good setup:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Daavid/saved/#view=GKhsXL

774C9272-97ED-4995-A615-F5D101544519.thumb.jpeg.f46e64085db9939653ecc35f3efd69d6.jpeg
A3D026D5-4E76-4F8F-9CAF-B2C53C90357A.thumb.jpeg.4cda0d91db87eb5e1dba6b77ece2284c.jpeg

Edited by David Bizier

That is certainly more than enough for day trading. You're into gaming performance with that hardware.

I use an I5 8400 2.8ghz base 6 core processor

EVGA 1070ti

16gb 2666 ram

I use 4 monitors and have no issues.

Edited by Matthew
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 2:15 AM, Matthew said:

That is certainly more than enough for day trading. You're into gaming performance with that hardware.

I use an I5 8400 2.8ghz base 6 core processor

EVGA 1070ti

16gb 2666 ram

I use 4 monitors and have no issues.

Thanks! I don’t want to play video games on my computer. I will use it only for day trading and family stuff (browsing internet, managing photos, etc.)

4 hours ago, peterB said:

i would buy a single 16GB RAM module instead of 2x8 for future upgrade if needed

you are missing keyboard mouse and monitor(s) which can be few hundreds or even a thousand depending on the monitor setup you choose

Ryzen 3 3600 costs about $170 on Amazon so better check where to buy those components to be more cost effective. the GPU is crazy priced too. Check out an AMD RX570 or RX580 which shall be below $200

Thanks for your help!

I already have a keyboard,  a mouse (Bluetooth but it should do the job for the first month) and two 24’’ monitors. I think I will begin with two monitors and upgrade to 3 or 4 when my day trading activities will become profitable. I would like to buy the little keypad you guys using for shortcuts, will have to look the price and if I need it at first.

For the RAM, there is 4 slots on the motherboard and as 2x8performs better than 1x16 and this is cheaper, I thought it was a good idea. In the future I will be able to add another 2x8 and with 32GB, I don’t think I will need more.

I just replied this in your other post... 

DAS Trader Pro is not a very resource-heavy program. It is designed for Windows OS, any computer with Core2 Duo 2+GHZ processor or higher, Minimum 4GB of RAM, Windows 7, or higher will be able to run DAS Trader Pro. Please see the full system requirements here https://www.dastrader.com/DAS-Support.html > 5. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

• Like 1

I'd put the money in a 10 Gb network adapter instead of a wireless adapter.  I had one of the wireless adapters and the connection was usually horrible.  I would put money in the GTX graphics card as the newer RTXs are about the same price as what you are looking for.  As far as the parts go I'd check www.newegg.com out.  I buy almost all of my parts to build pc's there since they are really good with pricing.  If you find it cheaper somewhere else they price match as long as it is a reputable competitor.  

Link for good graphics cards based on what you had up above: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709 601321572 4019 50001312 50001314 50001402

Link for 10Gb Network Cards: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=Gb+network+adapter&N=100158104 600013864&isdeptsrh=1

Edited by mhileman
  • Like 1

When I built my house I planned for the future by installing a 10Gb network switch which is coupled by easily replaceable Cat6 cable that runs to my office area as well as everywhere else in the house I planned on having a data point. When I built my pc I added a 1Gb Network card.  I was just stating that if he was going to waste the money with a wireless network card he could just get a better overkill network card for the same price that wouldn't have latency issues.    When I built my house I planned for the future by installing a 10Gb network switch which is coupled by easily replaceable Cat6 cable that runs to my office area as well as everywhere else in the house I planned on having a data point. When I built my pc I added a 1Gb Network card.  I was just stating that if he was going to waste the money with a wireless network card he could just get a better overkill network card for the same price that wouldn't have latency issues.    

• Like 1