yauhk1

Is the dell universal dock d6000 good enough for having extra screens ?

Hi BBT fam!

i am currently using my high-spec gaming desktop for day trading, however my display card only have 3 ports for display( 2 hdmi and 1 display port). I am planning to upgrade my trading station from 2 monitors to 3 monitors, but I am not planning to buy another pc or another display card.... when I go through BBT’s hardware page I saw the dell universal dock and I notice that it will work even for desktops! Anyone try that before, is it good enough? Are there any latency problem? is it good enough to have a d3000 rather than a d6000?

sorry for all those questions, really appreciate any help in advance

Edwin 

• Like 1

By D3000 I think you mean D3100 (The D3000 model is old junk 😛)

I used to have the the D6000, and it is definitely a better solution than the D3100 if you have USB-C in your computer.

That being said, while they both will work (I don't think you'll notice a latency problem) - they won't be using your graphics card's native GPU. They use DisplayLink technology that passes the video feed over USB, and you'll be capped at 60 Hz. If you're not going to be using the connected monitors, through the dock, for gaming, this probably won't matter to you. For me it did, so in the end I grabbed the WD19TB, which taps into the native GPU, and allowed me to use the 144hz of my monitors.

Thanks Justin! so both will work on desktops right?maybe I will get the WD19TB for better experience  !

18 hours ago, peterB said:

if my math is correct then if you have 3 and you need 3 = you need nothing new to buy to run 3 monitors. I was running 3 monitors on the cheapest Geforce GT710 2 years ago

also if my math is correct, the D6000 is more expensive than a 4 port GPU

Yeah you are right... i got a typo... i am planning to update it to 4 monitors instead of 3....

the d6000 is more expensive than a 4port GPU but my mother board only support 1 gpu and i got a 1080 TI that i didnt plan to replace yet! so d6000/ other docks would be a better choice for me !

11 minutes ago, peterB said:

any 1080TI has 4-5 monitor outputs. have you checked properly?

Really ? I will need to check next week, thanks for the reminder! i got an ASUS one and after inspecting the specs on their web it seems they did have 4/5 ports. Maybe i missed one display port when i check my GPU previously. Many thanks for helping me to save extra few hundred bucks!

One point to note with many GPUs is they often have more connectors than they can drive concurrently.

One or my PCs has a GTX1080 and that can certainly only manage 4 of the 5 connectors and from some searching that appeared to be a general hardware limit rather than card manufacturer specific.

On 7/10/2020 at 3:33 AM, yauhk1 said:

Hi BBT fam!

i am currently using my high-spec gaming desktop for day trading, however my display card only have 3 ports for display( 2 hdmi and 1 display port). I am planning to upgrade my trading station from 2 monitors to 3 monitors, but I am not planning to buy another pc or another display card.... when I go through BBT’s hardware page I saw the dell universal dock and I notice that it will work even for desktops! Anyone try that before, is it good enough? Are there any latency problem? is it good enough to have a d3000 rather than a d6000?

sorry for all those questions, really appreciate any help in advance

Edwin 

I have the oldest POS integrated graphics only desktop. and I am running 4 screens. (go through my post history and youll find pics). Just get a USB 3.0 to HDMI dual splitter adapter. Works fine for me. I only have 2 DP ports on my computer. Thats how I get 4 screens. 2 DP and 2 HDMI.