Hiltzy

John's High-of-Day Break Trades

22 hours ago, FX said:

Hi John, are you using the first pivot to mark HOD? I was using the 5 min high , but started to notice the first pivot as a good are.

I mark HOD as simply the highest print after the market opens. But I wait 10 minutes to take a trade at a minimum. I prefer to wait 15 minutes. So often I am taking a trade where the HOD is breaking a highest print that happened in the first minute after the market opened.

On 7/16/2020 at 5:47 PM, James Norman said:

Good stuff today!  Thanks for continuing to recap these, I look forward to them each day.  

Thanks!

Appreciate your recaps John.

Congrats again on becoming a BBT moderator !

Where do your set your stops at ?

-tom n

1 hour ago, tntp45 said:

Appreciate your recaps John.

Congrats again on becoming a BBT moderator !

Where do your set your stops at ?

-tom n

Thanks! It depends on the stock price and the movement. But generally I use a $1 stop. Sometimes I will decrease that t $0.50 later in the day. Again, depends on price and movement. There is no situation where I would use a $0.50 stop on $NFLX. And $AAPL in the morning I would definitely use $1, but maybe $0.50 later in the day. And remember, right now I trade almost exclusively stocks between $100-$500.

• Like 1

John -

I thought of you when I came across, "The 52-Week High and Momentum Investing," paper referenced in Dual Momentum Investing by Antonacci. I wonder if there might be value in tweaking your strategy to focus on 52-week highs (or some other larger period). Additionally, you should be able to get your scanner to eliminate anything NOT on a 2+ week trend. Maybe that would lead to increased activity and profits? Additionally, this brief summary seems to indicate that even trading a security in proximity to its 52-week high could result in increased profits. Might be fun to experiment! Images attached. 

Ryan

272865188_page1.thumb.jpg.2d21c2bb3b4b5cf7df3bc56311019f93.jpgpage2.thumb.jpg.4cff1160d0a745cb7efe18a0b63b49c1.jpg

Edited by ryan Rockwood

On 7/28/2020 at 5:02 PM, ryan Rockwood said:

John -

I thought of you when I came across, "The 52-Week High and Momentum Investing," paper referenced in Dual Momentum Investing by Antonacci. I wonder if there might be value in tweaking your strategy to focus on 52-week highs (or some other larger period). Additionally, you should be able to get your scanner to eliminate anything NOT on a 2+ week trend. Maybe that would lead to increased activity and profits? Additionally, this brief summary seems to indicate that even trading a security in proximity to its 52-week high could result in increased profits. Might be fun to experiment! Images attached. 

Ryan

272865188_page1.thumb.jpg.2d21c2bb3b4b5cf7df3bc56311019f93.jpgpage2.thumb.jpg.4cff1160d0a745cb7efe18a0b63b49c1.jpg

Ryan, you are totally right. It would be good for me to consider what the others "highs" are near the price. Weekly, monthly, etc. I love that this author wrote about momentum trading a stock breaking its 52 week high. It's the same concept. Just on a larger scale.

Hi John - I'm a new member.  Thanks for posting the PDF of your HOD strategy.  In it, you make reference to "R" and "1R."  From the context of the slides, I'm guessing that "R" is profit.  What is 1R?

Many thanks!

bosDan

Edited by Daniel Lee
grammar