Hiltzy

John's High-of-Day Break Trades

Who Am I?: My name is John and I am the newest member of Bear Bull Trader's Leadership Team. My favorite trade is the High-of-Day Break. In fact, they make up over 90% of my trades. 

Purpose: To share my High-of-Day break trades and discuss the reasoning for my entries, partials, and exits.

Note: Check out my original presentation on High-of-Day break trading. I made it before joining the BBT Team (attachment in this post)

Insights_From_A_Newly_Successful_Trader.pdf

Edited by Hiltzy
  • Like 3

My best and worst HOD break trades from July 1st, 2020

Worst_Best_Trades.pptx.png

Edited by Hiltzy
  • Like 1

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm new as well and haven't come across this strategy. I gather the strategy can be described as follows: Watch for high of the day as established by the 1 minute chart. Watch for increased trade volume and a quick punch through the high. Enter the trade expecting the price to increase temporarily and get out quickly.  

Did I miss anything significant? 

• Like 1

Ryan, that's about right in a nut shell. But check out the attached PDF file at the top of this post. It has tons of information on this strategy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ryan Rockwood said:

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'm new as well and haven't come across this strategy. I gather the strategy can be described as follows: Watch for high of the day as established by the 1 minute chart. Watch for increased trade volume and a quick punch through the high. Enter the trade expecting the price to increase temporarily and get out quickly.  

Did I miss anything significant? 

Also, does it matter which high of the day? For example is it always the 1st or 1-5 high of the day, etc? 

• Like 1

Does not have to be the first HOD. If have used this strategy for 3 green trades on a single stock in  a day. But it works easiest (generally) from about 9:45 - 11:30 EST.

1 hour ago, Hiltzy said:

My best and worst HOD break trades from July 6th, 2020

Worst_Best_Trades.pptx (5).png

Worst_Best_Trades.pptx (4).png

I love this, thanks for sharing.  What scanner are you using to notify you of the stocks moving near HOD?

4 minutes ago, James Norman said:

I love this, thanks for sharing.  What scanner are you using to notify you of the stocks moving near HOD?

No scanner. Just a running list of stocks in the $100-$300 range that trade well for HOD breaks. Some usual suspects are FB, BYND, NVDA, ROKU, ZM, AAPL, BABA, MSFT, etc. I look for where there is good volume for the day. 

Edited by Hiltzy

17 minutes ago, Hiltzy said:

No scanner. Just a running list of stocks in the $100-$300 range that trade well for HOD breaks. Some usual suspects are FB, BYND, NVDA, ROKU, ZM, AAPL, BABA, MSFT, etc. I look for where there is good volume for the day. 

Thanks, I'm going to track these and see how it goes.

THIS is really cool. thank you. I am not trading these because psychologically they feel like chasing to me, but cool to see they work. is there any material that you watched on these to give you confidence to take them? or is this a proven strategy that others have known about for a while? thanks again!

51 minutes ago, Bo Trailblazor said:

THIS is really cool. thank you. I am not trading these because psychologically they feel like chasing to me, but cool to see they work. is there any material that you watched on these to give you confidence to take them? or is this a proven strategy that others have known about for a while? thanks again!

I  definitely feel what you are saying. I hear good traders call out longs and shorts. When I look at the chart I can't see what they are seeing. Such a weird part of trading. But cool that there are so may ways to make money. I've never seen this trade described in material anywhere. But it sort of shares aspects of other strategies. For example, it is kind of like getting in late to an ABCD trade.