Abiel

Apple’s new ARM-based Macs won’t support Windows through Boot Camp

Or just buy a PC... I have a mac and use boot camp to run Windows for DAS at the moment... I've been a Mac user since 1991 but I'm really getting tired of Apple's shenanigans... My next computer will most likely just be a PC laptop. 

This whole ARM thing seems more geared towards  the mobile / 'tablet you can use as a laptop'  market to me at the moment. Microsoft tried it with the Surface Pro X, in theory it should be possible to run a X86 32bit version of DAS in the emulator in Win 10 ARM but I wouldn’t trust it. IMHO Microsoft are notorious for selling / releasing buggy stuff as Release versions and refusing to admit any problems till they’ve replaced or patched it: Win ME, IE6, DCOM, Windows Vista, windows 8 etc etc

Apple will do a much better job of making sure it does what it says on the tin than MSFT, but at the moment they're only talking about possibilities with graphics , multi monitor support and raw processing power Etc no-details at all,  their Pro range is still Going to be based on Intel X86 for the foreseeable future and they are still developing OSX for X86.

ARM processors will allow lighter, slimmer,, cooler, more battery efficient laptops that will work better with 5G/LTE than A mobile X86 Intel but they are nowhere near replacing it yet. Apple said the iPad Pro was A laptop replacement in 2014 but IOS and the processors were too limiting for this to be true.

My advice is not to buy Anything ARM, windows or OS X, for running desktop trading software for a few years yet, it will need to be established patched and Developers will need to have specific releases for the platform. If you want to pay a premium for the latest hype and or want a tablet that can Be used as a laptop and are happy running mobile platforms then by all means go for it.

Long term it’s good news If it works, Intel have had it too easy for too long; it may force them to be a bit more innovative with their architecture rather than release minor improvements as new at premium prices.

Edited by jonosg

Yeah Apple will support Intel emulation on ARM processors until they don't - just like how years back they dropped PowerPC emulation on Intel chips. 

IMO trading on MacOS is not realistic - I use boot camp because that's full on Windows, but there will be no "boot camp" emulation with ARM based Macs. Using Parallels or CrossOver to run DAS on MacOS just does not give you the same performance. 

If DAS came out with a Mac version you could trade on Mac, but I don't think they will and until then for optimal performance you need to be in Windows to trade.