Ryan W

TradeStation

Does anybody else here use Tradestation for their platform/broker? I know they had an issue this week where Windows 10 users couldn't launch Tradestation due to a Windows Update that blocked it for some reason. However, I run Windows 7 due to issues running Tradestation on Windows 10. Was curious if anybody else uses it as well.

Yes I use Tradestation too. But fortunately I've only updated my old laptop to Windows 10, my main trading PC is on Windows 8 and that still runs ~ fine.

Bill Gates would be a pauper if product liability applied to software. My laptop is currently unusable courtesy of Windows 10 running disc usage up to 100%, apparently quite a common problem which I've only wasted an hour or so on so far.

Yea, Windows 10 is terrible for a few reasons which is why i stuck with Windows 7. I tried Windows 10 with Tradestation about a year ago when I built my trading rig, and TradeStation ran absolutely poorly. So I reverted back to Windows 7. I like what Tradestation has to offer, but it certainly lacks in some areas and the performance can be buggy at times.

Frank, that's interesting. I have a good friend who is an EasyLanguage developer and used to work for TradeStation. He has tried the beta and says to stay away for now as there are a ton of issues with it (I mean it's a freakin beta!)

Hello,

I wonder about joining Tradestation as an alternative to DAS.

Are you all satisfy with Tradestation platform, orders speed and hotkeys features please ?

Did someone done the maths comparing DAS/IB subscription + fees vs Tradestation fees ?

Thanks for you feedbacks guys 😉

I use TradeStation as both my platform and broker. Here are some points you may consider:

1. TradeStation has a program for military vets, activity duty, and first responders where the commissions are zero. You pay only the SEC and Trading Activity Fees (which are usually pretty low unless you do a lot of scalping; even then, they are low compared to commissions). I think the program is called "Salutes," but just tell them you're in one of those categories and they'll take care of it.

2. Setting up hotkeys has been a pain. They're not nearly as flexible as DAS. Plus, you have to wade through their Help documentation (which is plentiful) to figure out the meaning of terms such as "Improve", "Hit/Take", "Hit/Take+", etc. Once you know what these mean, setting up hotkeys is easy. However, setting up WHAT hotkeys is more of a problem b/c they are "fixed," you can't change them very easily w/o going through the process of editing them. Couldn't possibly do this duringn a trade. I have some generic hotkeys set up to buy 100 shares at Ask +.01, sell 100 shares at Ask -.01, etc. Also for shorting and selling ur entire position in a stock. DAS allows you to set up a hotkey to let's say sell 1/2 your position. Can't do that in TS. If I have a 400 share position, to sell half I have to execute the Sell 200 shares at Ask-.01 macro via hotkey. Then to sell the next half, run the Sell 100 shares at Ask -.01 macro. At that point I have 100 shares left, and all I can do is sell the remaining shares b/c I don't have a macro/hotkey set up for selling only 50 shares.

3. More flexibility in hotkeys could possibly be had using EasyLanguage, but unfortunately, EasyLanguage cannot be hooked up to a hotkey.

4. TradeStation is a 32-bit program with no likelihood of going to 64-bit any time soon. In fact, probably never. My machine uses a 64-bit CPU running at 3.8Ghz. I have on more than one occasion caused TradeStation to "crash." Thankfully though, what happens is that it actually buffers all your keyboard commands, and then when it "catches up," they are run. But, it can take upwards of 1-2 minutes for TS to catch up, at which point you could've lost a bunch of money. What happens when it "crashes" is that is just stops responding to mouse and keyboard inputs. And, whatever you do, DON'T turn off or reboot Tradestation during this time.

5. As for order execution times, I use their "intelligent" routing and found little if any difference in speed compared to going through an ECN (for which you are charged).

6. I am wondering what hotkeys others have set up. I've had to experiment with mine extensively in the sim mode, and I'm still not happy with them, especially those hotkeys that close/sell out t he entire position. For example, I have my "bailout" hotkey set at Bid-.03, but it doesn't always get me out of the entire position and I have to execute it twice.

On 1/8/2018 at 5:21 AM, Peter S said:

Yes I use Tradestation too. But fortunately I've only updated my old laptop to Windows 10, my main trading PC is on Windows 8 and that still runs ~ fine.

Bill Gates would be a pauper if product liability applied to software. My laptop is currently unusable courtesy of Windows 10 running disc usage up to 100%, apparently quite a common problem which I've only wasted an hour or so on so far.

I started out with a MacBook Pro running an i7 chip with 16GB RAM. It also has a 500GB SSD. I installed Bootcamp on about half of the SSD, and then installed TradeStation and Windows 10 Pro in Bootcamp. Works like a champ. I'm using Windows 10 Pro on my desktop w/ i7 at 3.8Ghz, 500GB SSD, and 32GB RAM. TradeStation has no problems running on this machine either. If anything, since TS is a 32-bit program, I can overload it and it comes to a halt until it "catches up."

Hey, I'm also using bootcamp on my MacBook Pro (13inch 32gbRam 512GB i7 processor) but I'm running into constant issues I'm wondering if it's the lack of power on this machine (btw i'm running two dell ultrasharp 24inch monitors) or if it's an issue with running native windows on mac via bootcamp. Would really appreciate any feedback. I'm considering upgrading to the new Macbook Pro 16inch but if getting a windows based laptop provides the stability I'm after then I'll go for something other than a macbook.  As I'm writing this I've noticed now my bluetooth mouse is lagging I've never had so many issues on my computer! Can't help but think it's dowmn to running windows on Mac. One last thing with all the problems I've been having especially with DAS Trader it still works bootcamp still works better than virtual platforms such as Parallel.