This 55" Philips Momentum with built-in Bowers and Wilkins sound bar and Ambi-Glow is really great ( Philips 558M1RY Computer Monitor, 3840x2160, 4ms, 60Hz : Amazon.ca: Electronics ) !

The wee laptop is a $200 Walmart special that was too slow for anything else so I just use it as a ticker while doing other stuff on the big Philips.  I just retired from a network analyst position working from home so I'd watch various stocks on Trading View as I worked (mostly Coupang, I don't know why but it caught my attention).  I'm using a 7-year old Alien laptop for the monitor, the Alien was extremely high-powered when I bought it but it's probably of average spec now.  

Does anyone have any strong opinions about multiple monitors vs one giant screen?  In my cube at work I had 4 X 27" Philips but I was on a bunch of different networks where each network required its own laptop.  So far I think one big screen is OK, I bought some switches so I can feed this thing from a bunch of laptops.

20220325_142950.jpg

Edited by Bob Pike
Wanted to include a question

Greetings! 

So! After getting the simulator setup, a few things became clear. Given that I would need to use parallels to facilitate windows for using DAS, things were already beginning to seem difficult. But, I started with a trial account of parallels and my current macbook pro 13" with I5 processor and 8gb of memory to give it all a try. In addition to this, I used an ipad next as an extra screen with sidecar - a way to link the ipad over bluetooth as a second monitor.

This all worked somewhat, but it seemed overly complicated and completely insufficient given my current and future projected needs for trading. The processing speed and technical difficulties with using the ipad, in addition to needing to purchase both parallels and then windows wasn't sitting right. I weighed the benefits and drawbacks of various paths forward. I knew I would have to upgrade screens and computer hardware in the future regardless.

I thought of getting some kind of adapter and using the mac with another screen. But I knew my current mac processing speed wasn't going to be good for day trading needs. Also, the idea of spending 100-200+ on a quality adapter for a screen, 80 or so to buy parallels, and another 200 for windows pro just so I could get started seemed like a bad move. I already purchased a year membership at bearbulls and had already began my simulator trial. I felt some urgency but going this route seemed similar to getting proficient with one trading platform in simulator, and then trading for real with another platform. I wanted to give myself the best start I could so I as heavily leaning towards buying or teaching myself how to build a computer. 

I found some good pre-builts for gaming and trading that seemed like potentially good options. But, as I looked into what it takes to build a computer I saw that there are some main components for all computers that I could learn about, and some tutorials increased an itch I had to do it myself for less money. I also liked the idea of knowing what was going on in there and potentially be able to fix any unexpected issues later on. 

This was still a hard choice because I wanted to get into the simulator as soon as possible, but, after looking pretty exhaustively at what was offered pre-built wise, I decided I could at least copy the parts list and put one together as well. If I needed help with software I could seek out help.  

All in all it took about 2-5 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 3 weeks. During this time I had to do a lot of research on hardware compatibilities and used a lot of video tutorials when putting it together, then more research, troubleshooting, and videos with some minor roadblocks hardware and software wise, but I finally got it completed. It is working quite well so far and I am doing my best to learn about what's needed for an extended life of it. I feel proud of the work I did and definitely have a better sense of what's going on with computers as they used to feel quite magical. 

My parts list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/olmo2/saved/smph7P

I will say this. I had no idea how to build a computer before this and I have always been afraid of the day when it might seem necessary for me to do so. With motivation and persistence, it was possible. I am happy to share any tutorial videos and guides I used with others. Please just ask. 

desk1.jpg

desk2.jpg

desk3.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! hah more cable management!? Guess there is a little more there that can be cleaned up!

Hi all,

Beginning 2021 found Andrew's book and initially didn't want to spend any money, so used my work laptop on the left running Linux.

I used IB TWS workstation for a few months, but it was quite difficult to get all the hotbuttons to work.

I stopped the paper trading, also due to work until  February 2022.

I decided to go with DAS pro, and not wanting to touch windows for the last 15 years, I had no other choice.

So bought a nice new laptop with a second screen attached

Asus zenbook pro Duo

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Zenbook-i9-10980HK-Accuracy-Touchscreen/dp/B08CGPZBPV/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2PRTXARXP0A25&keywords=asus%2Bzenbook%2Bpro%2Bduo&qid=1650625569&sprefix=asus%2Bzenbook%2Bpro%2Bduo%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-3&th=1

I know it's a bit expensive for £2.5K  but I think for my portable solution it is good, certainly because I still have to share my space with my wife and kids on the dining table 😀

I'm also using my son's tablet as a second  extended screen, it is a bit small, but once I'm earning money with trading I'll get the latest 14" samsung tablet.

This at the moment is my only system, but same as with the tablet, once I start earning money with trading I'll invest in a fixed setup with multiple large screens, 15" and 14" laptop screens are only goood to look at 1 stock at the time. 🥴20220422_120255.thumb.jpg.68f4fb24fe90533fc044838cc848edf1.jpg

Anyways let's see in a year the time what setup I'll have.👍