Hi All,

I posted this in the chatroom but wanted to post here to update and show the files. 

I have had my streamdeck for 5 months and haven't had any issues with it. Today i only used it to open Tradeideas (have a hotkey for that). I didn't execute any trades with it.  

So at approximately 10:19 ET I was watching MRNA and had my montage active. I had changed my default account to try some patterns i didn;t want to in live. Thank goodness I had done that as if this occurred in live i woudl have been slaughtered financially.

Anyways, I am looking at MRNA on my montage and then all of a sudden orders start flowing like crazy on my screen. So in 30 seconds 617 orders were sent through my screen. I hadn't pressed any button on my streamdeck or even executed an order on my montage.  I didn;t realize at first this was in my SIM and thought it was live. Nearly had a heart attack. My heart rate skyrocketed as i didn;t know what was happening. I looked at my streamdeck and all the images in each button was smaller than normal. So i just grtabbed the cord and unplugged. Then realized it was in SIM so calmed a little. Regardless i had to walk away for an hour becuase my adrenaline was running. 

I have posted the files from my DAS and Streamdeck to show.  I will take a picture of my streamdeck when i get the nerve to plug it in again (making sure DAS is closed and network is off).  If there is someway i can get a video repoly of it I will try. Will be a video of my near coronary.

Anyways, i wanted to post this as a warning.  I am not sure if there is a known defect with these but i will never use this one again. Need to call the manufacturer.

Side note: I built this PC as a standalone trading system. It has no bloatwware or software except for MS office, browsers and trading software (DAS, Trade ideas, TWS). I don't surf the net on it (execpt BBT and banking sites). So its not a virus or hack. 

Account view from streamdeck fail.png

StreamDeck log.txt Das Log File May 19 2020.txt

20200519_145312.jpg

Edited by Taylorhe
Added image

I think there was a streamdeck software update the other day? I don't use the DECK anymore but I still have the software installed. I'm sure you checked but was that hotkey set to repeat a stroke? I never had a repeat issue and have had 2 decks since 2018. I recently got the X Key device (thanks Jason) and like it a lot more because of the tactile feedback of the keys and the you dont have to jam the key down to get it to register like you do with the deck. 

Thanks for sharing, I was considering getting the XL as a backup down the road, maybe i wont now. 

Hey Brendon, it was multiple hotkeys. It is like it activated all my keys at random. I might be interested in the X key. Who makes it?

Edited by Taylorhe

1 minute ago, Taylorhe said:

Hey Brendon, it was multiple hotkeys. It is like it activated all my keys at random. I might be interested in the X key. Who makes it?

Ya X-Keys is the company. I made the switch and haven't regretted since but it has only been 2 weeks. The Genovation Pad is also a good alternative except the keys aren't backlit and the software I heard is a little rough but I heard the finish and mechanical keys are nicer. Also Genovation is not prime so returns could be difficult. I think the overall support of the X Keys is superior to Genovation given it's a larger company.

X-Keys

https://www.amazon.com/XK-24-USB-Programmable-Keypad-Windows/dp/B003MB780E/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=xkeys&qid=1589907152&sr=8-2

Genovation Pad

https://www.amazon.com/Genovation-Cp24USB-GENOVATION-CP24-USB-CONTROLPAD/dp/B07C62NHQ1/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=genovation+pad&qid=1589907184&sr=8-8

Jason has a 'step into my trading station' video showing his X Keys for a few seconds  (it's somewhere). I need to make one soon! Oh try to sell your decks, I got over a $115 bucks on ebay for them. Sold like hotcakes. 

• Like 1

Wow, that's really unfortunate @Taylorhe so glad you were in sim!

I can't express this enough - mechanical keyboards/keypads for trading.

Hi Taylor,

I know a long time back there was an issue with a Streamdeck going rogue and firing all the hotkeys, I thought they updated that in software, but I remember reading on the Elgato forums that some users had to RMA their devices (faulty) ... you may want to contact their support. I've used my StreamDeck going on 18 months and have never had this issue .. but I don't have predefined share totals, so it wouldn't be able to send a valid order in my case.

Now, you can implement a few protection mechanisms within DAS.

If you go into DAS Main Menu -> Setup -> Trading Settings, set these:
X - Check duplicated new order (same order in 10 seconds) -> This prompts you if a duplicate order is sent rapidly.
X - Price Check -> Choose values that make sense for you. This won't do much in this case if your hotkeys define a price.
X = Checkmark

You could also add a modifier key to your hot scripts that is not reflected in the StreamDeck. Example: You'd set a hotkey in DAS to SHIFT+CTRL+1, set the StreamDeck to send CTRL+1. With this setup, you'd have to hold down SHIFT on the keyboard while you hit a button on the StreamDeck.

As an added measure, you could also add to your Hotkey scripts a '; FocusWindow CHART;' at the end of all your current hotkeys that can buy / sell stock. CHART would be a name you give a particular Chart or something like the Market Viewer, via the Right-Click Window -> Config -> Name).   This way if you get a rapid firing of hotkeys in the future, only one will be able to actually fire off because the window focus would move to something else and the other buy / sell hotkeys would fail until you manually bring the focus back to the montage.

When you go live, you should also set up your maximum loss with DAS (it's a form you file), that will minimize actual risk because they'll sell everything / reject orders if you hit that level. I do it like this (example values):

-$60 PnL --> Alert --> Speak 'Max Loss Warning' (this signifies I have room for one more full R loss)
-$90 PnL --> Alert --> Speak 'Max Loss STOP' (this tells me to stop trading)
-$120 PnL --> DAS Risk Form --> Auto Stop / Reject

I give an additional 1R buffer between the point I'm supposed to Stop (self discipline) and the point DAS will turn the account off  for the day and liquidate positions, to account for the higher-than-my-account commissions DAS calculates in.

Edited by KyleK29
  • Thanks 2

---------------------------------------------------------
Profile / Project Pages (Dynamic Hotkeys, StreamDeck Files, and other contributions are located here)