jeremyjohnolson

Trading in wrong account!

So today I took a trade on LLIT based on the fallen angel strategy.  It is a low float stock with news that was gapping up in the pre-market, then sold off at the open and found support and continued to trade on really high relative volume.  Then I did a great job and got in at just the right time when the 1 min and 5 min candles were going up on increased volume.  I sold quickly after the pop for a quick $850 in profit...then I realized I was trading in my training account!  I thought I was in my real account, but apparently I forgot to check, oops.

I am using DAS trader pro.  Does anyone have any tips on how to make sure this doesn't happen in the future, other than just being sure I check first.  Is there a way to make it more dummy proof like automatically change the color of the background or something based on which account you are in, or some other cool tip like that to make it more dummy proof (because I was definitely a dummy this morning!!)?

Edited by jeremyjohnolson
wrong symbol

Thanks Abiel for the response.  I do know how to change between the live and training account.  I already have my live account set as default.  I am just wondering if there is a feature in DAS to make something change that is visually noticeable depending on which account I have selected.  This is probably not a feature available in DAS, but I just thought I would ask.  This morning I was trying out some new hot keys in my training account and I forgot to switch it back, my bad.  Maybe it would be something worth bringing up to DAS to add as a feature, so say I am in my training account, then the background is all a different color or shade as compared to when I am in my live account.  That way, I would not be able to accidentally trade in the wrong account, or at least it would be a lot more difficult to accidentally make that mistake.

I could see this being a very useful feature, even more so when it happens the other way around.  Imagine you think you are trading in your training account but are accidentally in your real account, that could be catastrophic!  I mean, sometimes when I am in my training account I just want to see if hotkeys are executing properly and I could care less if I "make money" on the fake trade or not.  Imagine I took a huge loss then realized, holy &%^$ I was in my real account &^%$!!!!  Haha, I pray that never happens!

Besides the account showing in the montage and in other DAS windows like positions, trades, etc.  there is no other visual indication of the account you are using. You can suggest a feature to DAS Inc., in DAS Trader Pro click Help > About > Feature Request.

I have an alarm set in my phone to check account 5 mins before market opens.

54 minutes ago, Abiel said:

Besides the account showing in the montage and in other DAS windows like positions, trades, etc.  there is no other visual indication of the account you are using. You can suggest a feature to DAS Inc., in DAS Trader Pro click Help > About > Feature Request.

I have an alarm set in my phone to check account 5 mins before market opens.

You make a good point, I didn't think about that if I had open positions it would definitely be more obvious which account I was in.  The problem in my case is I have no open positions at the beginning of the day so literally the only difference between being in my training account versus real is the little account drop down selection window which is easy to miss if you forget to check.  Makes me think, maybe I should buy like 1 share of a few different companies just so I have some open positions, could be a work around to make it more obvious which account I am in.

Edited by jeremyjohnolson