KyleK29

Script - DAS Separate Live / Simulator Versions - v1.1 - Updated: 2020/08/07

Some users asked about this in chat a while back and as I was writing up the documentation on how to do a dual-copy of DAS Trader Pro -- one version for Sim and another for Live -- I realized that it had some complexity which may have made it difficult for some end-users. So to remedy this, I wrote a script to do it for you. I did this with batch / powershell commands (it's been awhile, so not eloquent at all) so that users can see what is going on (no tomfoolery with your accounts).

What Does It Do:

It's a Windows 10 (if Mac users exist, your mileage may vary) script that will:

1. Makes a mostly symbolic copy of your DAS Trader Pro install (it'll copy over the Config.cfg file, since we need to change a few things) --> If your DAS install is C:\DAS Trader Pro\ it'll create a C:\DAS Trader Pro_Sim\ folder.
    1. By default, only the theme folder and .exe exist in the new folder install (the SIM version will check for a version change on the .exe and copy it over as needed for when updates occur), the rest is symbolically linked via the file-system to the main install. This is done so that items carry over their settings (Trendlines, Desktop Layout, Hotkeys, etc.).
    2. This is beneficial because if you use the default config then all layout, chart, trendlines, hotkeys, and other options stored outside of the Config.cfg file will be the same in both versions. 
    3. You can change this behavior with options (more on that in setup below). Right now, options exist for: Desktop Layout (default.dsk), and the Hotkey File (hotkey.htk).
  2. Change the background of the simulator install (for better visual recognition).
  3. [optional] Add A Sound Alert for the Simulator version when a LIVE account trade is made in it [auditory recognition].
  4. [optional] Add a Sound Alert for the Live version when a Simulator account trade is made in it.

Example Image

Notes / Prerequisites:

If you set your account via as part of hotkey scripts (e.g. "ACCOUNT=U#######") you will want to change those values in your hotkey.htk file and also toggle the config.ini setting for separate_hotkey_file to "separate_hotkey_file=1" (instructions below). I assume most users won't need to this do.

How Do I Use It?:

Glad you asked. Download the zip file linked below and then follow the instructions here.

1. As a precaution, I recommend you make a backup copy of your DAS install. Easiest way is to go to the folder that contains your DAS install, right-click it, and select "Send to Compressed Zip" .. if your install is in C:\, you'd right-click the "DAS Trader Pro" folder there.

2. Unzip the downloaded file to a directory.

3.  If you use the DAS default install location of "C:\DAS Trader Pro\" - and / or - wish to have the defaults, skip to step 3. If you don't use that location, continue reading this part.

1. Go into extracted directory and edit "config.ini":
          Config Available:
              ⓐ directory=C:\DAS Trader Pro
                  This is the location of your DAS install. By default, it's C:\DAS Trader Pro as that is the DAS default.
              ⓑ separate_desktop_file=0
                  This is if you want to have separate Desktop.dsk files for SIM and LIVE. By default, it's the same layout. 
                  To use separate desktop files, set this as: separate_desktop_files=1
              ⓒ separate_hotkey_file=0
                  This is if you want to have a separate Hotkey.htk file for SIM and LIVE. By default, it's the same file.
                  To use separate hotkey files, set this as: separate_hotkey_file=1
              ⓓ add_sound_alerts_sim=0
                  This is if you want to have a sound alert added to your DAS SIM, for this to work properly there will be additional setup (see section "Sound Alerts - SIM Account").
                  What it does is add an audible alert if you trade with your LIVE ACCOUNT in the SIM ACCOUNT.
                  To use, set to: add_sound_alerts_sim=1
              ⓔ add_sound_alerts_live=0
                  This is if you want to have a sound alert added to your DAS LIVE, for this to work properly there will be additional setup (see section "Sound Alerts - LIVE Account").
                  What it does is add an audible alert if you trade with your SIM ACCOUNT in the LIVE ACCOUNT.
                  To use, set to: add_sound_alerts_live=1

4. Right Click "Setup.bat" --> Run-As Administrator
        a) On Windows Admin Prompt Click "Yes"
        b) On the command window that opens, make sure it does not give an error. If prompted, type the letter "Y" and hit enter.
        c) If no error messages, hit enter again to close the command window.

5. Launch DAS using the shortcut created on the desktop as "DasTrader - SIM Account" --> Under ...

1. Blue w/ S is the SIM account.

2. Yellow w/ L is the Live account.
      Shortcut_Examples.png.04c4848aa3291157af64be7f1229b351.png

6. You're not done ... go to Additional Setups section.

Additional Setup:

There's some brief changes we need to make within DAS for this to work properly. 

1. Open the "LIVE" version of DAS (the yellow icon).
    1. Login and on the top menu bar select "Setup" -> "Order Templates"
    2. On the "Account" box, select your LIVE account (for IB users it's likely something like U#######).
    3. Hit "Apply This Setting To All Exchanges."
    4. [optional] If you enabled the SIM trade in Live Account alert in config.ini, read the next line, otherwise skip to #5.
      For the Alert to work, go into Top Menu Bar -> Tools -> Alert & Trigger -> Double Click "WARN-LIVEACCOUNT" -> Double Click the "Value" box next to the "Acc" item (it should say "U1111111") -> Set this to your LIVE account. Image helper here.
    5. Close DAS.

2. Open the "SIM" version of DAS (the blue icon).
    1. Login and on the top menu bar select "Setup" -> "Order Templates"
    2. On the "Account" box, select your SIM account (for IB users it's likely something like TRIBT####).
    3. Hit "Apply This Setting To All Exchanges."
    4. For the Alert to work, go into Top Menu Bar -> Tools -> Alert & Trigger -> Double Click "WARN-SIMACCOUNT" -> Double Click the "Value" box next to the "Acc" item (it should say "U1111111") -> Set this to your SIM account. Image helper here.
    5. Close DAS.

Download:

v1.00 - 1/14/2020 - outdated ..
v1.01 - 8/7/2020 - DAS_DASSim_Separation_Script_V1.1.zip

Changelog:

v1.00 - 1/14/2020 - Release of initial script.
v1.01 - 8/7/2020 - Quick rework of the script to be in its own .EXE, this may help with any issues for permissions.

Known Issues:

v1.00 - 1/14/2020 - My father never really played catch with me as a child, but besides that, there doesn't seem to be any that I'm aware of with the script at the moment. /joke

Edited by KyleK29
New Version
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

---------------------------------------------------------
Profile / Project Pages (Dynamic Hotkeys, StreamDeck Files, and other contributions are located here)

New version posted. If the prior version worked for you, don't worry about this as it's just a repackaging, there's nothing new in this besides that.

If you have any issues, please let me know.

Edited by KyleK29

Profile / Project Pages (Dynamic Hotkeys, StreamDeck Files, and other contributions are located here)

How long does making the backup copy take?  I just kicked it off...   it says 8 hours 30 min remaining...

NM the above post.  I had a few DAS recording files.  Once I took them out, the download took no time at all..

Edited by dodgedak

When I login into the simulator version, it kicks me out of the real version.   Is there anyway I can keep logged in into both versions?

On 10/18/2020 at 7:43 AM, dodgedak said:

How long does making the backup copy take?  I just kicked it off...   it says 8 hours 30 min remaining...

NM the above post.  I had a few DAS recording files.  Once I took them out, the download took no time at all..

Hmm, I didn't realize people actually used the DAS recorder .. if I do another version, I'll exclude those.

On 10/18/2020 at 4:41 PM, dodgedak said:

When I login into the simulator version, it kicks me out of the real version.   Is there anyway I can keep logged in into both versions?

That's an intentional thing from DAS. They don't let you have multiple user sessions on the server side (for various reasons). Same thing will happen if you log in to the PC and then also on your phone, your PC session will be terminated.

1 hour ago, KyleK29 said:

Hmm, I didn't realize people actually used the DAS recorder .. if I do another version, I'll exclude those.

That's an intentional thing from DAS. They don't let you have multiple user sessions on the server side (for various reasons). Same thing will happen if you log in to the PC and then also on your phone, your PC session will be terminated.

Any way you can remove the screen record pixel limit? 

I love this setup but I've noticed two issues that I think may be related.

1. It isn't possible to upgrade the sim DAS app.  The pro app is upgraded and when I try to auto upgrade the sim app it says I already have the latest version although the sim is a few versions behind now.  Any way around this?
2. The two hotkeys below don't work properly in sim.  I'm assuming it's because I have an old version.  
    a. ScreenRecorder StartFullScreenRecording
    b. ScreenRecorder StopRecording

For #2, the screen recording starts and stops, I can see my mouse move, but the das screen is static for the entire duration of the video.  I'm assuming this is because I'm using an old version but not sure.  DAS support is lost and can't help much.  

At this point, I'm going to uninstall and then re-install everything and then do this process again unless there is a workaround.  

Edited by Jake

On 8/7/2020 at 11:58 AM, KyleK29 said:

New version posted. If the prior version worked for you, don't worry about this as it's just a repackaging, there's nothing new in this besides that.

If you have any issues, please let me know.

Updating DAS Trader Pro to new version :

After updating "DasTrader Live Account" (Tools -> Auto Update) to version 5.7.5.6 , I was not able to launch SIM by clicking "DasTrader-SIM Account". 

So, I copied  DASTrader.exe from "DasTrader Pro" and pasted into "DasTrader Pro_Sim" folder (replaced old DASTrader.exe) and now my issue is resolved.

So every time after updating DasTrader LIVE , copy the .exe from folder "DasTrader Pro" paste it into "DasTrader Pro_Sim" (replacing the old .exe). It works great !!

• Like 1

Hi Kyle / Abiel/ BBT,

I have successfully separated LIVE and SIM icons.

Now if I want some one else DAS settings (via dsk file), I cannot use their dsk file, it gives the following error, probbaly because they are not using this separate SIM and LIVE system. How to resolve this issue ? Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks

image.png.fd250ce74614bbc7c99c612801ae8a7b.png

Edited by Zia Rizvi