Johns Paul

Drawing across chart windows in TradeStation Desktop

Hi,

For anyone using TradeStation as their broker/platform, do you know if there is way for me to sync my drawings across charts? I called them up and the answer I got was its not officially supported, but there is a 3rd party easy language plugin/indicator that costs $49 a month (To be honest that seems quite crazy to me, especially for such a basic feature). 

So I was wondering if anyone here knows another way of achieving this?

Currently I am thinking of writing the indicator myself, but  from the documentation I havent been able to find a way to send data across charts (I can write to a file from one chart, but the documentation doesnt have any details on how the other chart can read from this file). So if anyone has any information that could help me do this, that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.

On 12/16/2019 at 3:05 AM, Johns Paul said:

Hi,

For anyone using TradeStation as their broker/platform, do you know if there is way for me to sync my drawings across charts? I called them up and the answer I got was its not officially supported, but there is a 3rd party easy language plugin/indicator that costs $49 a month (To be honest that seems quite crazy to me, especially for such a basic feature). 

So I was wondering if anyone here knows another way of achieving this?

Currently I am thinking of writing the indicator myself, but  from the documentation I havent been able to find a way to send data across charts (I can write to a file from one chart, but the documentation doesnt have any details on how the other chart can read from this file). So if anyone has any information that could help me do this, that would be great as well.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Johns Paul,

I've been looking into this very problem. It would be nice to have drawings and S&R lines drawn across charts. Currently, I have a program that plots S&R lines/levels on a Daily chart, and have to constantly refer to the Daily for those levels. The best I've found is a website called markplex.com. The developer there has lots of free tutorials, etc on using EasyLanguage for just such a problem. He also teaches EasyLanguage on the site. From what I've gathered, you have to use one of the GlobalAccess Dictionary files to replicate lines from one chart to another chart or charts. With that, lines (or drawings even) plotted on one chart are almost instantaneously plotted on another chart (or charts). I use his Program55 to plot S&R lines on a Daily chart based on swing highs and swing lows. This program (as with all his programs) can be modified w/ EasyLanguage to plot specific levels also, like Previous Day Close, yesterday's High and Low, and the day before's high and low. I just haven't figured out how to do it in EasyLanguage yet. As a partial workaround, TS has an indicator called OHLC that plots the Open, High, Low, and Close of the previous day. I have this indicator inserted on a 5min chart, but it can't be modified like most of the Markplex programs. 

I hope I've helped clarify what TS can and cannot do in this regard. If you find out more, let me know please.

Also, how do you have TradeStation set up? I have 5 monitors (including the laptop monitor) and having a hard time optimizing a setup for trading. I use the matrix for trading, not Level 2. At one point I had Time&Sales displayed on a monitor, but found it didn't help very much (maybe I'm not interpreting it properly) so deleted it. On my laptop, I have 4 workspaces containing various charts and indicators. One of the workspaces, "Stocks Trading" has a RadarScreen, Matrix, and 1min and 5min charts. Almost all charts throughout my setup are linked globally to the RadarScreen. I've found, however, that the Matrix gets bogged down near market open and close. This is especially true for high-priced stocks like TSLA, etc. It bogs down so much that it's unresponsive for up to several minutes. Ever experience this? I've lost lots of money b/c of this.

William

It would seem that EasyLanguage connected to a hotkey would do the job. But tech supp and various developers in the TS forums said that EasyLanguage cannot be connected to a hotkey. So much for that solution.

Hi Johns Paul,

Did you ever find a solution to the problem of drawing lines across several screen/charts? The only solution I've found is on the markplex.com site, but he uses the GlobalDictionary in EasyLanguage. Do you use or know EasyLanguage? I know some but not how to use the GlobalDictionary. I've seen it in action however. And it's pretty good. Exactly what we need. And it wouldn't cost anything except the time required to learn enough EasyLanguage to implement it.

Let me know if you make any progress. It's very frustrating replotting lines from the Daily onto intraday charts.