Jens

Jens' Trading Journal

Hello everyone. My name is Jens. I’m 21 years old and live in the Netherlands. In July I graduated from the University of Applied Sciences as a mechanical engineer. Since two years took investing in stocks my interest and started reading about it. The last year I’ve been getting deeper into day trading. I’ve read Andrews book which got me more excited about day trading. At that time I was still in college and decided to join the bearbull traders community. I went through the education lessons and took 3 months of simulator to find out if day trading was something for me. I enjoyed this 3 months very much and wanted to get deeper into it. Unfortunately, I had to unsubscribe 7 months back from BBT because a graduation period of 6 months was coming up, what I needed to focus on. Now that I am graduated I rejoined the community as a lifetime member and want to get back into day trading. Next to my job as a mechanical engineer, working 36 hours a week I am learning to become a day trader. From Monday till Friday I am working from 7:00 AM till 3 PM. The US market opens here at 3:30 local time, so after work I have about 15 minutes to find out what de market is doing and prepare for the trading day.

From July on I’ve been trading in simulator to find out trading style fits me. From now on I am planning to document my journey as a learning day trader on this forum. Hopefully you guys can learn from my journey and I can learn from your feedback. I will mainly focus on Thor’ and Aiman’s Triangle breakout strategy. Last week I’ve seen the workshop and got really excited about this strategy.

At the moment I am still in simulator and will be trading exactly the same as I am going to when I am trading live. That means that I start with a max loss per trade (1R) of $20. As soon as I am consistent in simulator I will sign up with CMEG and switch to live trading.

From tomorrow on I will share my trades of the day and describe my thoughts about them. All feedback these trades is welcome!

My rules are
- No trades in the 1st 5 minutes
- Minimal R:R on a trade must be 2:1
- Always respect my stoploss
- Stop trading when I’m down 3R
- Stop trading when I’m at daily goal of 3R
- Don’t trade low float stocks

• Like 3

September 9th 2019

Had some good rest on the weekend, slept good this night and felt ready to trade today.

Trades

My first trade was on $ACAD. It made a significant drop through VWAP and and the moving averages. then I saw it was making a flat bottom. I decided to go short on the touch of this bottom and placed my stop above the previous wicks and 9 EMA. This move happened also to be a opening range breakdown on the 15 minute chat. on the 5 minute chart was a clear downtrend visible. On the way down I partialed at the whole dollar 39 and the rest of it on levels which i had found on the daily chart. On this trade I realised a profit of 3R.
1351543728_ACAD9Sep.thumb.png.7fcc1c92d40f6d73896864241aeb54d5.png

The second trade was on $T It was making a descending wedge on the 1 minute chart. Not really happy with this trade because it made a strong bullish move before the descending wedge was forming. After I was in the trade it tried a couple of times to lose it, but it got bought back up immediately every time. I didn't like the price action and around 10:03 there were apearing alot of high asks on the level and managed to get out out right before the squeeze at breakeven.
 464852455_T9Sep.thumb.png.1353cdec68ad492507e7fde346f0d924.png

The third trade was on $DOCU. At the open it made a strong move up. At 58 dollars it was forming multiple tops, which led to a ascending triangle. I got in with a tight stop below the 9 EMA. unfortunately it stopped me out. About 15 minutes later was a good oppurtunity for a re-enter and then it made the move I was looking for. At that time I was already at daily goal so I didn't took that trade.
132026535_DOCU9Sep.thumb.png.0215064556e77fe16fd8eb5054f6dd51.png

My fourth and last trade of the day was on $AAPL. It made a clear descending wedge with mutiple touches on the flat bottom. I decided to go in under VWAP and the moving averages. The 9 and 20 EMA were crossing the 50 SMA which happens to be a bearish sign. It did drop to a daily level right under 215 and partialed some out. then it came back up to my entry point and got out of the trade.
903223651_AAPL9Sep.thumb.png.d58426c28456bce787a371030ae2f2d6.png

It was a good trading day. Made the most of my money on ACAD (almost 3R). the trade on T was a breakeven trade and the trade on made me lose about 0,5R. In the last trade I hit my daily goal of 3R and stopped trading for the day.

• Like 4

September 10th 2019

Trades of the day
The first trade of the day was on $F. The first minute the market was open it made a strong bullish move. after that one minute it dropped below VWAP and the moving averages. It formed a flat bottom and on the third touch of the flat bottom I went short with a stoploss above the 9 and 20 EMA. The stock had not a high ATR so I think I shouldn't have traded it. when it came back to my entry point it squeezed and had to cover at a higher price than my original stop was.
image.thumb.png.027848c717cde12158c1a24eb20a43d9.png

The second trade was on $ACAD. This stock had a very strong open. At some point I saw it forming a kind of a wedge and went long with a stoploss below the 9 EMA. my target was the daily level at 41.28. I had set a limit order on 41.27 and unfortunately it didn't touch it by a penny. After it came to this level it dropped significant and decided to get out at B/E.
image.thumb.png.d5826c385ae36615ab7f6ef5dc134b6e.png

My third trade was on $ROKU. It was forming a wedge below VWAP and all the moving averages. It was downtrending on every time frame, but unfortunately it did'nt work out. Although I am still glad I took this trade.
image.thumb.png.f961645ef755a8f6987c03f38fe02c14.png

My fourth trade was on $AAPL. Not so happy with this trade. It was not froming a really clear wedge and there was alot of resistance to break through on all the time frames. It did a false VWAP breakdown so I thought it might continue to the upside. 
image.thumb.png.911ed2cdc25e8a52bfd4e4d2ee603226.png

The last trade was again on $ROKU. Not the best setup, but also not too bad. It was on a downtrend on the 15 minute chart. on the 5 minute chart was not a clear trend visible. It made a small descending wedge on the 1 minute chart and took it short. It made a small drop but then quickly got bought back up and got me stopped out.
image.thumb.png.6194c8461443e02ce40c7a78805e907b.png

I ended the day with -3R and stopped trading, because this is a rule I have. This day could have been better. Every trade was a loser, although I am not unhappy with all trades. the first trade on ROKU and the trade on ACAD were good setups. The other trades were not A+ setups for me, so not to happy with those ones. Working on taking more clear setups tomorrow.

• Like 2

Wednesday 11th September 2019

AAPL 11 Sep
the stock was gapping up on the daily chart. At the open it made a significant move up. On all timeframes it was on a uptrend (also a harmonious chart). Around 220 it was struggling and formed a ascending triangle. I decided to take it long when it broke the wedge. It did move in my way but unfortunately didn’t hit my target and got out at break even. It was a good trade but it didn’t work out as I hoped.

ROKU Trade 1 11 Sep
After the first 8 minutes ROKU was stuck at a daily level. I think I took long on the wrong moment the top of the wedge should have been the upper levels. 
It had already broken out of the wedge I was looking at 2 times, but quickly dropped back down. If I had taken this I would have had to wait for the third touch at the top. 

ROKU Trade 2 11 Sep
Roku was fighting the 50 SMA resistance level on the 5 minute here. It didn’t made a really clear wedge, but as soon as it broke this level I went long. 
It turned out to be a false break out and got stopped out below the 9 EMA on the 1 minute chart. 
This was not a great trade because the wedge wasn’t forming at a specific price level.

T 11 Sep
I took 2 trades on this stock. Both were losers on this. The first one was a ascending wedge. The was not a specific price were it was stuck. 
Because of this I shouldn’t have taken this trade. It must have a flat top on the wedge. The second trade was a short on a descending wedge. 
This setup was a little bit better but still not great. I was waiting for it to drop below VWAP. It squeezed all the shorts got me stopped out. 
The entry was not too bad since it was also a new 15 minute low.

RH 11 Sep 
Now this was a good setup. On the 1, 5 and 15 minute it was forming a wedge. It was strong on the daily chart and above all the moving averages.
 Before I got in it made a little hammer and decided to set my stop below the wick of the candle, which was also a break of the 20 EMA. 
I took some profits at the daily level of 164.32. after that it dropped back to my entry and sold the rest at B/E. after that I moved up a lot more.

MU 11 Sep
Took 2 trades on this one. Not a great setup. There was not a clear direction the stock was going to. I took 2 stabs on this. 
The first time got stopped out almost immediately, the second time it dropped to VWAP and then stopped me out. 
There were may levels on the downside to break through, so it must have been really weak for me to work out.

Ended the day with -3R which is my max loss

ROKU 1 11 Sep.png

ROKU 2 11 Sep.png

T 11 Sep.png

AAPL 11 Sep.png

RH 11 Sep.png

Edited by Jens

Thursday 12 September and friday 13 september

These days were also losing days. Last week I've been very busy regarding work. Because of this i've had no time to journal on these days. on thursday I ended the day with minus 0,5R and friday with minus 1R

Monday 16 september

Another max loss day 😞 having a hard time a this moment. on a 5 day losing streak and feeling like I can't figure this trading thing out.

Trades for the day

ROKU
It opened very strong and made a big bullish move. around 9:37 till 9:40 it dormed a flat top and on the 4th touch of this top I decided to take it long for the break of high of the day. After I got in it dropped and my stop got triggered. After that drop it got bought up back quickly and got back in. It did break the high of the day but it didn't my target which was 152,75.
937323210_ROKU16Sep.thumb.png.27fd1ef43ba4505324d54960441745a5.png

AIMT
The trade I played on AIMT was a decending wedge. It was in a clear down trend on all the time frames and took it short on the third touch of the wedge. It wasn't a clear flat bottom wedge so maybe I shouldn't have taken it. After I got in all the shorts got squeezed, including me.
787077543_AIMT16Sep.thumb.png.0bda8d478de58a4265d5b9c5a22cb5c3.png

This was another max loss day of -3R

• Like 1

I have actually forgotten how many 5 day losing streaks I have had since I have gone live. And I have had at least two 10 day losing streaks. What I realize now, it was only small nuisances in trade management causing my losing streak.

ROKU always has chopped me up. I see other traders making good trades, but I was just getting chopped. I am still trading ROKU SIM only. Only once I get profitable with a stock I take it live. I am finally getting better with ROKU. But I really needed to watch the spread. Sometimes it explodes without warning and I get a bad entry. Then I usually get wicked out right before it pops/drops in my direction. So I do give it a much larger stop now. Once I was patient enough to wait for the wick out, then I entered the trade. It seems to move after it wicks out the weak handed like myself. Still trading it in SIM but getting better at it.

Last year a BBT member wrote up a good analysis on stocks that the "C" in the ABCD pattern can get too tight and it is actually a reverse signal not an ABCD. Though I am terrible at reverses so I have not used that info as an entry signal, it has kept me away from taking some ABCDs that reversed just after I would have entered. Your AIMT trade reminds me of one of those examples. The 5 minute chart was staying in a tight range and the last three 1min candles got REALLY tight. So there is a chance it found very strong support and may reverse back to VWAP enough to stop us out. I will try and look for that post, it was really useful.

• Like 1

Tuesday 17 September 2019

Was in a good mood today and felt ready to trade.

Trades
KHC
This was a harmoniuos chart play. On the daily it was gapping down and on the 15 minute chart on a downtrend. It opened below all the moving averages. It popped above the moving averages it didn't close above them. on the way back down I entered short with a stop above the premarket level of 28.62. This was not really a good R:R trade. Once it was consolidatiing I changed my stop to the break of 28.5, which was also the break of VWAP. 
1470165927_KHC17Sep.thumb.png.4ed1bcbb9659d35855fd0d5d3bcfaa81.png

WLL 1
This was a descending wedge in combination with a opening range breakdown. I put my stop above the previous 1 minute wicks, which gave me a good R:R. I partialed along the way down at significant levels and made 2R out of this trade.
714636538_WLL117Sep.thumb.png.6ef59cfd2345f5d54242cf5d60777fa7.png

WLL 2
Once WLL found a bottom it was starting an uptrend. I saw it making a ascending wedge wedge a took this as a reversal play. It did pop a little bit, but shortly after that dropped down and stopped me out.
2040836074_WLL217Sep.thumb.png.ce4f26704ee8782f47b82b3508f8a210.png

GLW 1
My first trade on GLW was a descending wedge. On this one I got a very bad fill. the second i clicked short hotkey it dropped down and got a horrible fill. after I entered I realised I shorted it into support levels and got to the conclusion it wasn't a good trade. the next minute I got stopped out
1752514188_GLW17Sep.thumb.png.94ae0137b8ffdd4666a9fcb4671b0761.png

GLW 2
This was a good play. Had the correct entry on this one. No resistance levels coming up and above all the moving averages. Took profits on the way up and got the remainung shares out at break even.
652759916_GLW217Sep.thumb.png.71af3fec64d8a2aa0095f95343498b2d.png

AAPL
Not a really good play. Entered too early (must have 3 touches to the flat bottom of the edge before entering). And realised I shorted into support.
653184876_AAPL17Sep.thumb.png.648374e05e7ba3f867c26cfdf30d0b4a.png

SNAP 17 Sep
My last trade was on SNAP. Very bad trade, it was chop around VWAP and no clear setup was visible.
1329125627_SNAP17Sep.thumb.png.d08ca92f02dde4f6179945a1efdd10a7.png

Ended the day with -0,5R. Still taking not the best setups, I'll have to work on that.

• Like 1

Today got a little bit late home from work. But it didn’t got me stressed and prepared well for trading.

Trades
OSTK
The stock was gapping down on the daily chart. In the first minutes of the opening it formed a flat bottom on the 1 minute chart. I saw it was down trending on all the time frames and under all the moving averages (harmonious chart). I got in when the 5 minute opening range breakdown occurred. On the way down it found another flat wedge bottom. I wanted to partial but got accidently got all out. At the time I saw it was forming another wedge I re-entered and took a partial at the daily level of 16. The rest I got out at a squeeze above break down. This was a awesome setup. This moves should happen every day.
1252434964_OSTK18Sep.thumb.png.9f73a714484046c903df86db338d989a.png

MU trade 1
Tis trade was a descending wedge play in combination with a 10 minute ORBD. I did partial early in this trade (not even 1:1). Because it had already made a big move. My original target was the daily level at 49.93 but it never touched it and got out above the 20 EMA on the 1 minute chart.
1049803377_MU118Sep.thumb.png.c738f423408a0c6e615886e937e9aa93.png

MU trade 2
At this point I saw that MU was down trending on the 1, 5 and 15 minute chart. I got in at the second touch of the wedge (should have been the third). It dropped a little bit but got bought up quickly after the drops. I didn’t like the price action and got out at break even.
 1545797155_MU218Sep.thumb.png.b6a1dfd16c9bd356c7349cf801eab22f.png

CHWY
CHWY gapped down on the daily chart. On the 1 minute it did a false VWAP breakout. On the 5 minute it did kind of a reversed ABCD. And it was forming a descending wedge below VWAP and all the moving averages. I was happy with this trade, but it unfortunately didn’t work out.
995708172_CHWY18Sep.thumb.png.d183a0fbef94e1717a20c6f66c3e87e1.png 

ADBE
This wasn’t a wedge play. It looked like a false VWAP breakout. The stock also engulfed on the 5 minute. I decided to take it short below VWAP and under all the ma’s. my target here was LOD and my stop was the break of VWAP and the 20 EMA.
4112445_ADBE18Sep.thumb.png.243a4e447c6235f781e255602bce4092.png 

ROKU
ROKU was making a reversed ABCD on the 15 minute chart. On the 1 minute it made a descending wedge and on the 5 minute it had started a downtrend. My entry was at the flat bottom of the wedge, wich was also a new 5 minute and 15 minute new low. After a couple minutes it made a huge drop and covered along the way down. This was a great setup.
 1530587733_ROKU18Sep.thumb.png.018e48e40b70868d777436cea7c73151.png

Today I ended at daily goal. My winning trades on OSTK an ROKU were awesome plays. I managed my risk well on the other trades which got at +3R. Finally after a 6 day losing streak a good day in the books.

Edited by Jens
  • Like 3

19 september 2019
X trade 1
My first trade was on $X. I am trying out a new strategy. It is a 5 minute opening range breakout in combination with a V pattern move on the 1 minute. I see this move happen regularly. Gave this a shot and took a partial at 1:1 on a daily level. After that it squeezed up and got stopped out break even by the penny. Otherwise it would have been a nice 2:1 move.

2081030471_X19Sep.thumb.png.8b315c1ec6ede7104784bce04b4b1982.png

X trade 2
I made another trade on X, a descending wedge play. Now after reviewing it I realized it was not a good trade. On all the time frames were actually bullish signs instead of bearish signs. It had 5 higher highs on the 1 minute, on the 5 minute it engulfed and on the 15 minute it had formed a hammer.

2106065040_X219Sep.thumb.png.a09cc6458be63e32d97231b54c91a9e9.png

WLL
I made another descending wedge trade on WLL. This stock was trending down the whole hour. I entered on a new 5 minute low. Not a bad setup, but unfortunately got an unlucky stop out by the penny. Otherwise it would have been really good move. Still happy I took this trade.
543234237_WLL19Sep.thumb.png.318f168c8e260371194babcd966313f8.png

MSFT
Played a ascending wedge here. The same case as X trade 2 here. After reviewing it I realized it showed some bearish signs. It did move in my way, but was going for the HOD and it didn’t touch that. Not the best setup on MSFT.
421924186_MSFT19Sep.thumb.png.918793a518f23b512a7c0564a1547ab7.png 
Ended this day with -2.5R. I’m down -4.5R now on the month.

Edited by Jens
  • Like 2