Kons

How to correctly track Risk/Reward stats

Hi traders, 

I have a question, I guess mainly for those who log and track their R/R and payoff ratio. When you add to a position do you track it as a separate trade with separate metrics or do you count the average price with the latest stop to calculate new R/R ?

Hope this make sense, here is the example:

I traded NVDA yesterday 8/19th. Went Long at the open for 2ORB with wide stop first to be careful, added more on consolidation for 5ORB and moved stop higher. On the screenshots attached you can see that logging this as one trade will give 1.7R realized, however splitting this in two will give 1.1R and 1.6R which leads to a better total R number but a lower average. So when analyzing statistics for a month lets say, it will give different results.. which way do you think works better ?

Annotation 2019-08-19 230942.png

Annotation 2019-08-19 231621.png

Annotation 2019-08-19 231714.png

Annotation 2019-08-20 115612.png

Annotation 2019-08-20 115633.png

First off: great trade!

Secondly, when I add to a trade, I count it as one trade. My overall net P&L is how I calculate my overall R:R ratio. It's the same with partialing. I dont count each individual partial as a separate trade. 

• Thanks 1

awesome trade! i used to track them individually so that i could see where my partials could be improved but i've recently moved to just and average of all the partials so i get a more accurate overall win/loss percentage. i'd say there's no right way, just whatever you think is more valuable information. 

Thanks for the feedback!

I think I will go with tracking this as one trade from now on. I already have the $ risk set so as Kurt mentioned probably the best way would be to reverse calculate R/R from P/L.