Mr.King

ORB Strategy-entries on the wick vs. the body of the candle?

I know that Andrew tries to enter his ORB based on the body of the 5 min candle and not the extremes of the candle wick. This seems logical to me based on the fact that this is where the candle has closed. That being said, I know of another successful trader who enters his ORB's based on the end of the candle wick, sometimes resulting in somewhat overextended entries but possibly more confirmed ones?

I know there are a million different ways to make money in the market if anyone has any constructive input on this I am sure it might help the community a lot. 

ORB ENTRY.png

I think you said it yourself, there are different ways of trading, none is better than the other. If you think about it, trade ideas scanner calls out for orbs after they break above the wicks, most of us here including Andrew take it after the break of the body(cuz it's the place where the candle closed as you mentioned, and as you said, getting in after the break of the wick can be so far, bigger room for stop, less size, and more difficult to get to the target. 

In my own opinion, ORBs are more difficult than they look like, it sounds easy to trade them, take the break of the 5 min, 1 min, 2 min, or whatever time frame you wanna take, but it's not that easy, you've to analyze the price action, the power of sellers and buyers, and have a bit of bias according to premarket action or the ma's/daily levels below, above, or from which the price action bounces

The best for me is to see an abcd on the 1 when taking 5 min orb, abcd on 5 when taking 15 min orb, or seeing the price action holding some kind of ma and according to it take the orb with stop below that ma, basically it comes up to an ORB, but with a mini setup. Not to forget the main rules for an ORB which are small body candle, small wicks, closer to vwap

So bascially, if the setup on the 1 (abcd) is completed, and the C is visible, new 1 min high is the break of the body of the 5 I'll take it to the long for the break of the body. If the mini setup is completed with a perfect entry but above the wick of the 5, then I'll take an ORB when it breaks the wicks, it all depends on the indicators we've, what they're telling us, and the bigger picture we see after combining the small details!

Edited by Aiman Almansoori
  • Like 5