True

How to record your live trades on multiple screens

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

@hailchaser2 DAS Trader really isn't a disk intensive piece of software so it's not that important. Your laptop already has a 1 TB HDD right? I wouldn't worry about the hard drive.

Looks like 500GB. 

If you don’t have a mountain to climb, find one.

1 hour ago, hailchaser2 said:

should I do the SSD change while I have it open?

100%! Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't look like that comes with an SSD... It's not always about space, an SSD over an old format HDD will make your computer scream!

Edited by Justin

1 hour ago, Justin said:

100%! Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't look like that comes with an SSD... It's not always about space, an SSD over an old format HDD will make your computer scream!

Yeah, I think? I have very little knowledge about computers and how they work.

0ECFAE1F-7CC2-4E47-8FF3-C78AA10C1EB6.png

1B1F00A2-C535-4F5F-841D-8C0A6BDE5223.png

Edited by hailchaser2

If you don’t have a mountain to climb, find one.

I just started using the DAS platform screen capture software and it has a button where you can drag across multiple screens to record.  I tested it out this past Friday and it works pretty good.  There is also a button to do a complete monitor setup capture but I found that it for some reason would only capture live for a few seconds then quit.  If anyone wants to try it you can get it from the Tools section of DAS. 

image.png.3e2631e90f2a79dfe3b828c0f2f66320.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hailchaser2 said:

Yeah, I think? I have very little knowledge about computers and how they work.

0ECFAE1F-7CC2-4E47-8FF3-C78AA10C1EB6.png

1B1F00A2-C535-4F5F-841D-8C0A6BDE5223.png

Looking at the part at the bottom where it shows Storage Optical Drive means it isn't a SSD.  If you want to check to see what kind of drive it is go to computer management and then you should see Device Manager.  Find Disk Drives and expand the list to see what it shows. You can follow the link below to find out what kind of drive that is installed on the pc, unless if you click the drop-down list and it shows the actual type of the drive. 

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000497.htm

Edited by mhileman
  • Thanks 1

I looked up that model of Lenova laptop and here is something I found where they tested a comparable model.  

The IdeaPad 330 is sold in various configurations at a wide range of prices. We tested a $265 budget model with a 15.6-inch, 1366 x 768-pixel display, an Intel Celeron N4100 CPU, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB, 5,400-rpm hard drive.

If it has the 5400 rpm hard drive in it I would definitely do the SSD swap as soon as you can.  Those things are terribly slow to load and the I/O can slow down apps opening, running and performance. 

4 hours ago, peterB said:

you already have ssd in your laptop

No, unfortunately it's a HDD.

Well... fortunately actually - because it's an amazing upgrade for any older laptop.

@True  @Justin i got late "to the party" so I couldn't help at all... here is thing, OBS is not designed on its core to record several screens at a time on different files, but more to switch between different screens or content "on the fly" for no-later-edition porpouse.

I found out that it DOES allow to open multiple instances, so you can set up 2-3 OBS windows to record 2-3 screens at the same time on different files. That will requiere further edition later, however it is doable. You will need for sure 2 or 3 different HDDs on your PC to record that or a fast SSD... second options is the bare minimum, as there will be no moving parts, the files can be writed at the same time with almost no botleneck. However, the most demanding component in the system will be your GPU for sure as it needs to encode 2-3 screens in real time: doable but costy. I've got a proper GPU for video editing (XFX Radeon RX580 Black Ed 8GB) and it is not that expensive. It will cost you between 180 and 240 dollars aprox. I've tested 2 screens recording /encoding in real time and the GPU can manage that. It will manage 3 for sure too. I've got 4 HDD on my machine so I can record every screen on a different physical device, that helps too.

Setting up

1. open OBS as many times as screeens you need to record
  2. to go settings OBS settings and select output file on diff devices or an SSD
  3. go to OBS video and select Hardware Encoding (both NVDA and AMD have that on discrete GPUs)

Note : I 'd bother to try it on a laptop unless it is a gaming laptop with a modern discrete GPU and an external USB 3.1 SSD drive