IamKarthi

My ORB strategy "Pullback ORB-Breakout Entry"

I was getting burnt while taking the conventional ORBs at the open. It affected my pshychology when my first trade of the morning fails, even when I think the setup was perfect. For e.g, A beautiful strong 1min open candle on $TIGR below, with no wicks, I went Long and got stopped out. If my first trade fails then it becomes a catchup to overcome the losses and then achieve the daily goal, and my pshychology gets messedup.

2019-06-18_$TIGR_ORB_Fail.png

I found some ways to narrow the ORB setup down to a level which offers high accuracy and would like to share this  strategy "Pullback ORB with Breakout Entry"|. I have tried this out for the last couple of months and it has worked very well so far.

The reason for this setup:

• I wanted a high accuracy setup at the open.
  • I don't like overtrading, I prefer one and done, if possible.
  • I am time constrained during the day. I can trade only at the open for 30-40 mins. And I am not good at Trading reversals. 

About the setup:

This Pullback ORB-Breakout Entry works very well with @WilliamH Harmonious Charts. 

Step 1: At the premarket, find a Harmonious setup, where the price action is above (or below) all the MAs on multiple timeframes 1, 2, 5, 15, 30, 60min and Daily (most of them, if not all). I prefer when the Harmonious chart is also ATH/ATL (All time High or Alltime Low)

Step 2. Pullback candle: At the open, Watch the 1min chart for the first 2 mins. Check if the 2nd candle is a Pullback Candle. Then it is an Alert. E.g Below.     

Pullback_Candle.png

Step 3: Breakout Entry: Wait for the 3rd candle to break the previous 2 candles high (only bodies, no wicks) and take an entry. E.g Below.

Breakout_Entry_with_VWAP_Stop.png

Step 4. Profit Targets: This is usually high RR setups, some times as high as 3-4 RR and a good candidate for riding till close. 

High_RR_setup.png

Step 5. This pattern/Setup works as good when it occurs on 2min or 5min timeframes too. If step 2 doesn't occur on 1 min chart, switch to 2min chart and watch for the pullback candle on 2nd 2min candle. Continue Steps 2-4. If it doesn't occur on 2 min, switch to 5min chart and continue steps 2-4.

P.S: 

• Harmonious charts - Sometimes you may find higher timeframes as Harmonious and smaller timeframes not harmonious, Wait for the open to see if the price action becomes Harmonious on these smaller timeframes too.
  • Contrary to other setups, this setup works well when it appears on smaller timeframes. Eventhough it may appear on 15 or 30 mins, the setup may not provide high RRs.
  • These are not rare setups, they occur almost everyday on common stocks like $FB, $AMD, $MU, $UBER, $TSLA etc., 
  • At the open, I watch 6-7 stocks for this setup and switch from 1min to 2min and then to 5min. 

Please let me know if there are any questions.

Edited by IamKarthi
  • Like 11

09.Jul.19

Here is an example of this setup from 9.Jul.19. I took a Live trade on this. 

2019-07-11_Pullback_ORB.png

Because there was a Resistence at the top, Price didn't move a lot. That is why I prefer William's Harmonious charts with ATH/ATL (doesn't happen often though).

Edited by IamKarthi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16.Jul.19

I took another Live Trade today on this setup in $FB on 10min Chart. 

Once again there was strong resistence at the top. Y and YY high, so the price couldn't move much higher.

2019-07-16_10min_Pullback_ORB_-_Breakout_Entry.png

Thanks a lot @IamKarthiI also have the same problem. If i get the first 2 trades red then it just goes downhill from there and I get hulk days! I am in sim though, so all is not lost. I will try to trade your ORB strategy tomorrow as ORB's are pretty much where I have made most of my green trades yet. 

• Like 1

23.Jul.19

I took another live trade today, based on this setup. Daily was not supporting this move, so I had to partial out quickly for a small profit. 

2019-07-23_$MU_Pullback_ORB_Breakout_Entry.png

01.Aug.19

I would like to share another setup that may work at the open. This is based on the chatroom discussion with @Brian Pez . 

Again, this setup works very well with WilliamH's Harmonious charts. I am attaching the screenshot of the trade I took.

$PS. The stock had gapped down today. During premarket, it kept selling. At the open it pulled back to VWAP/MAs (due to all the shorts covering at the open) and then $PS continues to drop. I took at entry below VWAP with stop of only 5c (above 50MA on 1min). And rest of the steps are included in the picture.

ORB_at_the_open_on_Daily_Gapped_down_stock_$PS.png

Edited by IamKarthi
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 3:31 AM, Jramosent said:

Have you had consistent success with this same setup? 

Yes. I have good success rate with this setup, although no setup is guranteed to succeed all the time. And when it aligns with Harmonious charts (with ATL/ATH), we can expect big RRs. Lot of people in our chatroom and outside take similar setups (3C setup, 3Bar play etc.,) they are slightly different, but the core concept is same. 

On 9/7/2019 at 5:50 AM, Magnus Alexander said:

This strategy looks like the typical ABCD pattern to me. 

Because price goes up and down all the time, every pattern may appear to be an ABCD.

In my view, a typical ABCD pattern needs more consolidation between B and C and works when there is medium/low momentum. This pattern is specifically for the open when there is big momentum and not a lot of consolidation except a small pullback.

Edited by IamKarthi
  • Like 1

Thank you IamKarthi ! I am in a similar situation as you- I can only trade the 1st hour because of the time difference as I live in Hong Kong which is 12 hours ahead of NY. I get so frustrated trading ORB. I will try out your set up for sure. 

Digging around the forum today looking for information on ORB strategies - GREAT, informative post here!  Thank you! 

Great stuff! I've been experimenting with essentially this same strategy. Can you speak a little more on entering on the break of the prior candles' body (versus the wick)? Do you find the risk/reward works consistently? 

Here's my trade from today, which I feel was somewhat decent but could be much better, with a better entry and exits. 

Thanks!

Miguel

Screenshot_20210107-201724_Docs.jpg

Edited by MiguelS