hailchaser2

Strategies for Profit Partials

I have not found what Andrew or any other BBT trader suggests to newbies for taking profit partials.

I usually plan partials based on support/resistance levels I have planned out, or dollar/.50 area. 

What I am wondering about is what size do most of you take on your partials?

When watching recaps, it appears trader’s take several partials.

Do you do share size? % of position? Half? Third?

I have just been taking what I feel like based on price action, but as I am building my HotKeys I was wondering if I should make a partial Hotkey. It seems like it would be helpful.

I was going to make a Hotkey for 1/3. Then just keep taking 1/3 of whatever position I have left until I see it’s time to take everything out.

Thanks for any replies. I’m a newbie

I did try to use the search forum option but didn’t find a thread talking about the strategies being used for profit partials.

Edited by hailchaser2

If you don’t have a mountain to climb, find one.

Old post, but relevant:

Andrew takes off 25% of remaining in rapid succession.

Personally I take off 1/2 or 2/3 after 1.5:1 risk/reward. Then I take the rest off based on the price action (holding support, no new 2/5 min lows, etc).

William and Norm typically aim for higher profit potential and are more patient.

It really depends on your style, strategy, and personality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I trade more of the Andrew style and I take 25% after the first move of .15-.20 cents (for an MU style stock) if it is not going down fast enough to reach a level. If it is very weak, I wait for it to reach its first support, resistance level and remove some.  Many of the trades I take I end up getting stopped out quickly so taking some partial profit fast helps me get close to my  daily profit target.

Some people are more patient and let the stock run more but it is a matter of style. You need to figure out what works for your best. 

At what point should we take profit? I have a small account and commission does eat you up at first which is part of the process. Should I take 25% off at 1.5-1 or 50% at 2-1? Thank you all